• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just Got a big job

Letterbox Mike

The answer to your question all depends on what you're selling these for. I tend to ride the fence on this subject, sometimes it makes more sense to outsource, other times it makes more sense to do it in house. If the numbers add up, I'll usually lean towards doing it in house. Larger volume jobs like this can be mind numbing and can be a huge interruption to your other work, but if the price is right, they can also be extremely profitable.

If you were to add equipment to do the entire job in house and you want to stick with equipment you already have, realistically you should be considering adding two additional JV33s and two plotters. If you can squeeze these out at around 200 sq. ft. per hour, you're looking at roughly 150 hours of print time on the job. With two printers dedicated to this, you can do all the printing in about 9-10 days printing just 8 hours per day, and that can probably be cut almost in half if you can also send full rolls to print overnight as well (which makes a lot of sense).

Someone else brought up finishing being the bigger issue on this and they're right. If you can streamline printing down to less than a week you still have a monumental hurdle to overcome with laminating, plotting, weeding, cutting into individuals, and packaging. 2 plotters dedicated to the job will get it done, but it's going to require organization and efficiency in your operation, and you would probably be wise to add a few extra people to the staff specifically for the job.

If you were to buy two new JV33s, two decent plotters (at say $6500 ea.), maybe one additional laminator (ballpark that at $10k), plus a dedicated RIP and new RIP station, you're looking at an investment of close to $60k. If you're getting $150k+ for the job or at very least have a contract in hand for future orders, personally I'd say invest in the equipment and do it in house. I don't see you being able to produce this job in house in 30 days with less equipment. Buying one printer that's faster than the JV33 wouldn't really make sense unless you're buying one that's hugely faster and in a different league, two JV33s can crank out some work, they'e only $15k, and having three of them side-by-side gives you redundancy in case one goes down, which is pretty valuable.

Smacka

8,000 is doable in house but we are talking 45k (about 6x more than that lol)

Why shut down your machines for 1 job when they are already running full speed ahead day in and day out? Sub it, collect money and be collecting more money with the current machines running like they are. Simple.

What about night time printing? I set my machine to run after we close and in the morning...ta da!

Rodi

Since it is so big a run, you can get dot to dot proofs made. You can send along your samples to the serious bidders so they can nail down any color issues for you. I see it done all the time. The time away from the rest of your business could be a real detriment. You can sub out and if they have say 3,000 or so rush (like that never happens) you can do that within your production, and its all good money for you. Just don't get too greedy, places do shop prices.

petepaz

+1 to stouse sometimes they do the job cheaper than we can screen & die cut it in house it in house but that quantity to run on our rolands would be insane you would have to run a second shift and keep it going for like 16 or more hours a day then you have to weed and trim even more time

J

john1

What about night time printing? I set my machine to run after we close and in the morning...ta da!

What happens when something happens for whatever reason? Media jams up, ink runs out, vinyl runs out?

Smacka

Just have to be sure you have enough ink and media loaded to do a prescribed amount of printing. Not hard to figure out. As far as jams and mechanical failures, you can't stop them even if you are there unless you hover over the printer the whole time. After you do the job once, you will either find ways to speed things up the next time or you'll never want to touch it again! :banghead: Realistically, most would sub this out but some of us ain't raking in the millions every month so we try to save as much as possible and if we have to work overtime...that's just the way it goes.

These don't say 'Feed The Children' do they? :omg:

I just got scammed for $1800 on this. they orderd 60,000 flyers, no prob we outsourced when they paid by cc we submitted the order. when the job was ready to ship they had their own shipping company that would only take bank transfer or moneygram. my cfo was like UH NO! called them out and we refunded all the moneys but we are still out the 800+ for the production.

They wanted them shipped to norway and the shippers bank was in Nigeria or somewhere totally off grid

visual800

I think this right here is what happens that jack folks up. They get a huge job and pi$$ all the money away on new equipment. Sub it out and enjoy the profits. It may or may not come around again. You cannot trust a large job to return in this business, people are are way to unfaithful.

sub it out, save your money and stress.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
although this is and old thread and already done.....

sub it out, save your money and stress.

i disagree, stress=money

gobble stress up and enjoy the profits, I usually go for the equipment purchase as it always leads to more work and therefore more profit.