• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just starting up

flen2000

Just starting up VP-540 or Soljet Pro III

I want to get the right printer to start. My sales rep suggested the Versacamm VP-540 or upgrade to the Soljet Pro III. Is the Soljet Pro III worth the extra $10,000 for a new sign shop?

Last edited:

iSign

let me guess... your "sales rep" is actually Roland's "sales rep" ...and not really your anything, just someone willing to take your money. Does this "rep" mention any other brands to you? There are other brands you might want to consider before you make a decision.

Columbia Signs

There are many advantages for many of us to all these people "jumping" in to the sign market. In a few years (or even months) there will be a ton of good (hardly used) printers for sale cheap. I already found (and bought) a used, but almost brand new, 540 Soljet II for $10K. The local rep who sold it to the start up sign company even came out and installed it for us. It still had the first set of inks in it!!!!!!

BTW, I think you should step up and buy the better print.

ChiknNutz

... 540 Soljet II for $10K. The local rep who sold it to the start up sign company even came out and installed it for us. It still had the first set of inks in it...

No Kidding?! I do see your point though. Who was the dealer...PCSS out of Portland or another? Damn, I'd sure like to find a deal like that as I still owe a little more than that on my SP-540!!!

iSign

you got your router that way too right Cody?

hey, I know a guy in GA who wants one with the 6 color inkset & the reverse wound take up spool... and a tangential servo... I think you should get that one :wink:

sorry Flen... just jokin' around here... while we're waiting for you to come back and let us know what you do, who is your target market, what your education, experience & design background are along with other strengths, weaknesses & local marketplace conditions that could help in making an educated suggestion regarding appropriate equipment purchases.

flen2000

I have been the IT guy at an Industrial supply company for the last 10 years. I have been reading this forum for the last few months but have only posted a couple of times. Sometimes the responses are brutal but always honest. As a part of my IT duties I use Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and In Design CS2 to create sales brochures and small catalogs along with promotional videos. I am self taught with the help of Lynda.com and the total training DVD’s. I am working with a company called Sign Biz Inc. They sell turnkey packages and provide training and business consulting. I will be hiring a graphic artist and have already interviewed and selected a sales person. We will be doing Digital Graphics, Vinyl Graphics, Banners, Exhibits and Displays, Indoor & Outdoor Signs, Vehicle Graphics, Custom & Electronic Signs and Plasma Displays with customer specific programming. I have been speaking with shop owners from all over the country and many from the Atlanta, GA area. There are many local shops that have told me that the market has enough work for everyone and have welcomed me with open arms, even letting me come inside their operations and showing me in detail what they do. I just got back from the SGIA expo in Orlando and thought I would post the question on the Roland printers here on this forum. I am determined to succeed in this venture and if you are in this market I might be interested in buying your used equipment in the coming months. :Cool 2:

Techman

There are many local shops that have told me that the market has enough work for everyone and have welcomed me with open arms, even letting me come inside their operations

Thats what I did.. And then waited until that dude lost his butt so I could get his supplies for pennies on the dollar. I fact I got my anagraph that way..

flen2000

Thank you all for your insights and opinions on the two Roland printers I asked about. You guys are really great.