• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV-33 suddently no magenta value in my prints

Brilliant

Hello everyone,
Having a weird problem. My technician says this shouldn't be happening, and he doesn't know why. He says he can't come see to it till next week, but I can't let this go for so long.

Anyhow, I'm attaching some photos so you can see what I'm talking about.

Background Info:
I have had the printer for almost 2 years now. Changed the print head last year and have been printing without any problems ever since... until today.

Problem:
This past week my printer has been working for a minimum 10 hours a day. I have been cleaning it between jobs, and everything was fine.. Until it suddenly didn't print any magenta value.

Attachment 1:
This is a picture of the job I had been printing. I had to print this cupcake about 10 times on canvas. But I was sending it one at a time, cause I had to leave extra material anyway and had little time to mount the canvas to a wooden frame one by one. The first few times I printed it were just fine, and then suddenly one of them came out green.

Attachment 2:
I then stopped printing and went ahead to do a test draw and see what's the result. As you can see, I attached one of the test prints I did the previews day between jobs, and everything was fine. But the one I did this time came out with absolutely no magenta lines.

Other info:
I checked my ink. I had 2 magenta cartridges in, one was 0 and one as 9. I took the full one out and turned it left to right to verify it has ink in it and it felt full. I thought maybe for some reason the printer can't read it, so I bought a new magenta cartridge, replaced it with the empty one, and again.. no magenta value in test print. I checked my dumpers, and they are full. So this is very strange.. why will magenta not go through the print head when just a second ago everything was fine.. dumper is full, cartridges are full.. don't know what else to check. I can't afford to wait for my technician to come check it out in a week or so.

For the time being all I can do is nozzle wash every day to keep my print head from drying.

artbot

first off do a damper swap to see if you have a supply issue. just put the adjacent dampers (the cyan?) to the manifold. do a cleaning cycle. if the cyan prints from the magenta position, then you have a supply issue at the magenta. if the cyan will not print from the magenta manifold position then you have an issue with your manifold/head, etc.

do that first before you do anything. you tech should have asked you to do this. it splits your printer in half as far as isolating goes.

Brilliant

unfortunately my technician is useless. Don't mean to be rude, but all mimaki owners have the same problem.. there is only 1 mimaki technician in Cyprus and he's no good. His method is trial and error, he learns as he goes, which is NOT what we need.

This is why I need to ask you for some details if that's ok. I know how to swap the dumpers, but what exactly is a cleaning cycle? Do you mean just a regular cleaning? will that be enough to replace the ink from the print head? Or do I have to push solvent in the print head to remove the previous ink in there first?

artbot

yeah. cleaning cycle (soft, normal, strong on my jv3). usually a normal cleaning will pull the ink back in if everything is operating properly. and always, it's better to "pull" ink into the head and not push. it's very common for printer owners to have access to the drain lines of the printer made easy to get to. you can pull a vacuum on these drain lines and that will pull ink into your head. after doing the pulling, pull your carriage off to the left for a moment to break the vacuum between the head and cap. otherwise the ink may keep flowing.