• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3-160s how to load large rolls in straight?

Spencer McMurtry

im using a jv3-160s i am having issues with the media comp having a gap on one side and a overlap on the other. this means the roll is not loaded in straight correct? how do you guys get the rolls loaded in straight? is this a common problem? i am having issues with 180c 60" roll

Thanks!
Spencer

iSign

I get my media straight by gently pulling it with both hands against the roll & against the tension on the roll... once it is pulled taught, I hold it from the center, careful not to change it's position & then clamp the rollers with my other hand. I've never had any difficulty with this.

As far as the media comp goes, once it's clamped, weather it's a bit crooked or not, your results are not going to be related to a slightly crooked loading... the 5 feet of rollers are going to advance your media with a consistent speed & distance, so I don't think there is any basis for connecting that media comp issue to the loading of the media.

Spencer McMurtry

your saying that the media comp having a overlap on one side and having a gap on the other side is not due to the media being loaded crooked? any ideas what this is from them? i don't understand how you set the media comp correctly when it is not constant though out width of material?

Thanks!

tiredcreations

I'm not quite sure if I understand you correctly, but I think I was having this same problem.

Make sure you are starting with a straight cut. Use a square & cut the media perpendicular from either the left or right factory edge (this should be a 90 degree cut from one of the edges).

Then when you load the roll, line that edge up with a horizontal line on the printer. Now the media should be loaded straight & won't shift or "walk" when feeding.

Anyway, I was having this problem when making 20'+ patterns & this was the solution. Sorry if it's not what you were asking. :doh:

iSign

your saying that the media comp having a overlap on one side and having a gap on the other side is not due to the media being loaded crooked?

yes, in my opinion loading the media crooked would not cause that. with 20 or 30 pinch rollers grabbing that media & advancing at a precise rate... it could be crooked by a whole inch, but the media comps grey bars should be parallel to the path of printhead travel every time & the material should advance perpendicular to the path of printhead travel every time.

any ideas what this is from them? i don't understand how you set the media comp correctly when it is not constant though out width of material?

I don't either, but the first step would be to look at possible causes that make sense, and not at ones that don't make sense.

To me, a misaligned media doesn't make sense as a possible cause.

Obviously it is important to load media as square as possible, especially on long runs being attached to the take up spool... but with very little effort, I've never had media loaded crooked enough to matter in 5 years

Thanks!

Is the material laying flat? If it's not flat that might cause the problems you are talking about.

On another kind of printer that I used to run the material closer to the print head would have a slight gap and material further from the head would have slight overlap. However on a jv3 the gap between the head the material is so small... I'm not sure.

Forgot to mention about the media comp... what the tech told me on my JV33 was that the media comp should be adjusted throughout the course of printing a roll. A full roll is heavier and the machine has to pull harder than a light roll. So as the machine prints and the roll gets lighter you'll have to manually adjust the media comp.

To be honest I hardly ever do this. I'll calibrate the printer and I might make a slight adjustment around the middle of the roll if it's a very critical job.

~Chris

Spencer McMurtry

OK so i figured out the problem, the machine i was sold was damaged from the previous owner. it has a "lump" in the rounded metal front which was causing the media to lift about 2-3mil on one side of the printer which was causing the overlap on the media comp. thanks for all the reply's

Rooster

im using a jv3-160s i am having issues with the media comp having a gap on one side and a overlap on the other. this means the roll is not loaded in straight correct? how do you guys get the rolls loaded in straight? is this a common problem? i am having issues with 180c 60" roll

Thanks!
Spencer

Is your media fully up to temp when you're running the media comp? I've found that when I let the media come fully up to temp and reclamp it before I run the media comp test that I get more accurate results and less differential between the two ends.

iceman64

There's a simple trick:

Pull the media a bit further at the front, then go to the back of the machine and hold a finger in the middle of the media, twist the media back at one of the rollholders. Now your media should be straight

Spencer McMurtry

UPDATE!! the problem was caused from
A. there being a dent in the metal cover that comes off the front of the printer.
and
B. the Fans that suck the media down being full of dirt & hair and other grime..

after i cleaned the fans out the media comp is constant from one side of the printer to the other side! i am going guess this was a huge issue with my banding.

i will be making new profiles these week and see if my jv3 will finally work correctly..

success = never giving up.

happy Monday.