• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160SP Conversion 6 to 4 color and few more questions

Proximus

Hi :signs101:

In next few days i will buy this machine. Printer is in really good condition. It was not used about one year and was full of cleaning solution, printed only about 1000m2.

I was bought 4x1L bordeaux eco ink and we put machine on test...

LC+LM channel was bad, tech replaced cap, pump and two dumpers that were corked, but it seams the head on that channel is corked too... won't fill up ink... we will try new printhead on monday..

4-th head was not used because of 6 color setup, that means it is brand new and full working?

here is test with lc+lm missing
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5297373/jv3test/IMG_0060.JPG

anyone know what is wrong with vertical line on cyan test? owner told me it may be a some cleaning solution remained in the pipes... is that true?

here is printed report of machine
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5297373/jv3test/IMG_0067.JPG

I need 2xCMYK cause of double speed... and one friend told me that is complicated procedure of changing to 4 color mode and firmware downgrade and changing is needed.. is that true?

I was trying to find something about that in operation and maintenance manuals but with no luck :/

Please understand that i'm new Mimaki user but i learn very quickly... and I would be grateful for any help and advice

:thankyou:

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 148

ChicagoGraphics

All I can say your 4th head probably needs to be replaced as well, even though it's not used while running the 6 color set-up, ink still gets into that damper and into the head.

Why would use use eco-solvent when you can use a better true solvent ink?

Proximus

What ink if there is only 6 cartidges on the back? A saw dumpers and tubes for that head there are totaly clean? Tnx

artbot

for one the cyan is toast. you can do some data swaps to see if that bend moves to a new channel but i doubt it will. with it like that you will need avoid variable dot and you can get some decent output.

as far as the switching ink set to CMYKx2 don't do it the way the manual explains, it's extremely wasteful. clean out the ink lines by pulling homebrew cleaning solution down the lines with a refillable cleaning cart on each bay with the machine powered down. then turn on the machine, ask the firmware to change the ink set to four color. but the trick is to disconnect your pump lines from the cap tubes. so the machine squawks for 20 minutes thinking it's throwing a way ink. but in reality the pumps are pulling nothing. then go through the procedure of changing each cart when it asks, pump still pulling nothing. when it's done pull the ink down with a syringe.

also, why do you need to change the firmware for the four color?

Proximus

Hi artbot,

tnx for advice, for changing to 4 color setup... I was suspicious too for these stories about changing firmware versions, it doesn't make sense...

And about the cyan when you say "to do a data swaps", you mean the i need to change two cables on that printhead with another two to test it? if that doesn't help what do you think about take out that head and try cleaning with cleaning solution and syringe?

what do you think about fourth head that wasn't never used, any chance it's ok?

Last edited:

artbot

couple things. just scroll through the maintanence menu...i you see the section for inksets and it gives you a four color option then you are set. don't press it until you are ready. the machine can not reverse out of this choice!

the cyan looks like data. i have a head doing that right now. it will overspray when printing under certain conditions. if you want to see if the fourth head is good data swap to it. put a set of dampers on it from another head. do you have diagrams for data swaps? it's so simple but you'd be surprised how many people hook it up wrong.

artbot

the basic thing is to keep them in pairs top to top bottom to bottom. do not do bottom port to top port, etc. in the end it's like putting a left shoe on a right foot and vice versa.

Attachments

• mimaki data swap.JPG
    mimaki data swap.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 166

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
i had my jv33 changed from SEVEN to four. it was all done in a day. new lines on the LM LC and white inks (there were two), new printhead( i toasted the old one when the caps started LEAKING all over the head.), firmware reset and THEN, mimaki raster link pro 3 needed four-color drivers and thats it. run the cleaning solution to prime and clean everything else, and, just run. it does print two pass, but, only if i set the banner two floors up to hide those annoying banding lines.. of course, i am sure i am forgetting something since Dave Mee did the entire job. :)

Dave Rowland

would not worry too much about resetting firmwares and updating.

the later firmware on that model prevents the clock going backwards, so if your not using originial inks within their period, you could run into trouble.

Proximus

Unfortunately the third and fourth heads need to be replaced...

We assume that the wiper is one to blame for clogging of the fourth head that never used, because he had contact with her during the work of the machine...