• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 colors are not what they should be

Rallyboy

I am a brand new Mimaki JV3-130 SPII user. I bought the printer used.
I know almost nothing about it. Lots of questions:
1. Can I print from a Mac OSX (I have Adobe Creative Suite software)
or do I have to get a PC?
2. What software seems to work best with JV3?
3. I did not get a cord with printer. Does it have a special cord or can I pickup
a cord (parallel or Firewire) from RadioShack?

Thanks for any help given.

Freese

I am a brand new Mimaki JV3-130 SPII user. I bought the printer used.
I know almost nothing about it. Lots of questions:
1. Can I print from a Mac OSX (I have Adobe Creative Suite software)
or do I have to get a PC?
2. What software seems to work best with JV3?
3. I did not get a cord with printer. Does it have a special cord or can I pickup
a cord (parallel or Firewire) from RadioShack?

Thanks for any help given.

You technically can print from Mac, but via Windows operating system (Parralels or some other Windows emulator for mac osx)

Software - Onyx is always my choice, especially if you plan to add another printer or plotter. And IMHO, it's the best with profile management.

I assume radioshack will have the firewire cable...make sure you have the right one, as there are a few variations in cables based on the pin number. Note the input on your printer and your firewire input on your computer.

Edit: If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

MikePro

After you find RIP software, and connect your printer to your computer, you STILL will most likely need to find a driver for your printer, as well.
best of luck to ya.

4R Graphics

Same as what the other guys have said.
1. You will need a paralel or firewire cable (parallel is slower).
There are 2 sizes of firewire cable you need the big one for the printer.
2. You are going to need a rip program (ie Flexi, Onyx, Wasatch).
Mimaki's site only has drivers for Windows so you need a pc or emulator.
If I remember correctlly with the new mimaki driver you can print from photoshop but you have almost no control over anything (nesting, profiles, temperature controls, etc...)

You can contact mimaki you may be able to get a copy of Rasterlink (Mimaki's RIP program) from them as it comes with the printer when you buy it. I know you can download it from there site but I think you need a dongle to make it work.

As for which program is best for running a JV3 thats up to the user. They all work well and have there own little issues. Once you get a RIP check out the forums there is a forum for the more popular ones (which are the ones I have listed).

Good luck
Ask questions but read and do a search of the forums first.
Most here are nice and will help you out if you ask informed questions.