• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 Damper replacement - how often?

odshawaii

As the title states, do you guys replace them only when necessary?

Or replace them like once a year as preventive maintenance?

Just a thought as I'm a little on edge when ever I swap one out since half the time I'll run into some issues when doing so:omg:

odshawaii

Anyone??

At almost $50 per damper (8x), that's $400 worth of parts to replace. My supplier on the West Coast suggested to change every 6-12 months.

Both my machines are running optimal to date. The dampers haven't been replaced well over 1.5 years. Should I not mess with the printer since it's running fine?

MikePro

Should I not mess with the printer since it's running fine?

ain't broke, don't fix it. replacing the dampers "just because" creates the potential for opening up a can-of-worms: bubbles in ink lines, broken manifolds, fried printheads, soooo many headaches just waiting to happen.
...although, it never hurts to set a "cap" on it, for the sake of preventative maintenance. 6-12 is way too soon, however. 18-24 more likely, even though they will really last for the life of the printhead.
also, you should also be able to get dampers for much cheaper than that if you shop-around. I was getting them for $5 on my JV3.

odshawaii

ain't broke, don't fix it. replacing the dampers "just because" creates the potential for opening up a can-of-worms: bubbles in ink lines, broken manifolds, fried printheads, soooo many headaches just waiting to happen.
...although, it never hurts to set a "cap" on it, for the sake of preventative maintenance. 6-12 is way too soon, however. 18-24 more likely, even though they will really last for the life of the printhead.
also, you should also be able to get dampers for much cheaper than that if you shop-around. I was getting them for $5 on my JV3.

Thanks for responding Mike. I just put in a new capping station and pump on both my JV33 printers and they're running even better!

I totally agree with you about not replacing them if nothing is wrong with the prints. Whenever I change something, another problem usually arises.

Do you have any sites you can refer me to for the dampers? I'm a little skeptical of 3rd party brands as their dampers didn't seem to fit / seal properly.