• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 Head Issues

Derek D

I just bought a JV33-160 and until now has performed flawlessly. After a weekend of sitting I did a test draw on Monday and had several nozzles clogged. After about 10 cleans and two nozzle washes i kept getting the identical test draw. I have ten test draws with an identical pattern. As a last resort we soaked the heads for 48 hours and did a test draw, it was identical to the first. I am now wondering if it is a problem with the head itself either electrical or otherwise. Has anyone any advise or suggestions that might resolve this problem. I called tech support and of course they have never heard of a head failure before (BS), their only suggestion was to use a syringe and try to draw the ink through the capping station manually, suggesting the pump is not strong enough. This is a last resort. Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Derek

fusion

i would put my money on the pump being weak. i had identical problem with a roland machine some time ago.
i would check the silicone tubes going in and out of the pump for any leaks or might even be loose. check that the pumps are properly seated.
would also check the capping station for wear or tares.
hope this info is useful .

Vinylman

I just bought a JV33-160 and until now has performed flawlessly. After a weekend of sitting I did a test draw on Monday and had several nozzles clogged. After about 10 cleans and two nozzle washes i kept getting the identical test draw. I have ten test draws with an identical pattern. As a last resort we soaked the heads for 48 hours and did a test draw, it was identical to the first. I am now wondering if it is a problem with the head itself either electrical or otherwise. Has anyone any advise or suggestions that might resolve this problem. I called tech support and of course they have never heard of a head failure before (BS), their only suggestion was to use a syringe and try to draw the ink through the capping station manually, suggesting the pump is not strong enough. This is a last resort. Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Derek

Derek:

draw the ink through the capping station manually.

It is a fairly easy and QUICK way to get the print head clean IF the problem is between the ink cartridges and the print head.

There are numerous things that COULD be wrong, but that will possibly get you up and running at least for the moment.

If you need help doing the draw down on the head let me know I have a sequence that someone else gave me that makes it go rather quickly. There are a couple of areas that you will need to be careful about, but you should be able to do this and be back running in less than 45 minutes.

Derek D

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I was able to get the head up and running by drawing the ink through the capping station manually with a large syringe and following the instructions from Vinylman regarding opening the valves.

I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Regards

Derek

Neil

Interesting, I didn't realise they had valves which needed to be opened first.
If, say you wanted to only work on one color, could you just open that valve?
In other words if you have Cyan nozzles out or you wanted to do a Cyan ink fill, could you just select to open the cyan valve so you're not pulling all the other inks through?

Interesting, I didn't realise they had valves which needed to be opened first.
If, say you wanted to only work on one color, could you just open that valve?
In other words if you have Cyan nozzles out or you wanted to do a Cyan ink fill, could you just select to open the cyan valve so you're not pulling all the other inks through?

You could... but I wouldn't. By creating negative pressure on the nozzles which have the valves closed off you'll cause them to suck up waste ink from the Cap once the Syringe is released. Best to just waste a little ink and draw on all the lines equally.

jimmysigns

I'm having the same problem with my jv3. on my test print the middle part of the magenta block is missing. maybe I should give this a try. I did cleanings and fills to no avail. my magenta was at level 1 in ink and I changed the cartridge so maybe it is starving for ink.
I'll give it a whirl. :smile:

I'm having the same problem with my jv3. on my test print the middle part of the magenta block is missing. maybe I should give this a try. I did cleanings and fills to no avail. my magenta was at level 1 in ink and I changed the cartridge so maybe it is starving for ink.
I'll give it a whirl. :smile:

Before you do that grab a flashlight and take a look at the bottom of the Heads from underneath. When incorrectetly adjusted or maintained JV3's have a nasty habit of running the Heads into the screws on the Capping Station and scratching the center of the Head surface.

jimmysigns

I took the plastic cover off the head and noticed the magenta damper was cocked in the hole, I got excited thinking I may have found the problem, I put it in fully ran the clean head and fill ink modes & ran a test print and still the same :frustrated:
nuts

jimmysigns

ok, next question, I took both magenta dampers off, their filled with ink, I drew some thru anyway with my needle gizmo. I then filled the needle with cleaning solution and pumped fluid thru the head. after watching the solution spray as I think it should (my head isn't clogged) I re attached everything and ran a test draw. same freakin thing, magenta is still not printing in the middle of the block. My question is, can I swap the damper connections on the head? also if it's the pump would'nt I not get a good printout on the other colors?
thanks for any advice.
Jimmy

sha

You could... but I wouldn't. By creating negative pressure on the nozzles which have the valves closed off you'll cause them to suck up waste ink from the Cap once the Syringe is released. Best to just waste a little ink and draw on all the lines equally.

I think the best way to suck ink in the JV33 head is by pressing membrane on damper (with open valves) sometimes it take 50 - 100 times but for me is most efficient.

Vinylman

The membrane on the sides of the damper are there to equalize pressures as the head draws ink through them. To use them as you describe is NOT what they are designed for, as though you have done this with some success, some day you may be on here asking "how do I get solvent {eco-solvent} ink off the print heads in my machine? I came in this morning and my entire ink supply has leaked out of my dampers, and is dripping all over the print heads, and down onto th floor.":frustrated::banghead:

The membranes on the sides of the dampers ARE NOT there to be "pumps" for you to get ink flowing into the print head.

Big House Signs

Wow, you guys are good...I wouldnt even consider doing any of that! Which is why I am paying grimco next week to do a full service! But I will be mentioning all of the above...to make sure everything is fluffy before he leaves. thanks.

jimmysigns

well I switched the damper lines with one another and am still missing the middle of the magenta on the test pattern. tomorrow I will run more cleaning solvent thru the head and check the spray to make sure it's not clogged. if it looks like it flowing good and still doesn't print the middle on the test pattern then I quit. :frustrated:

jimmysigns

I ended up changing the magenta printhead. solved the problem. the good news is that I actually was able to remove the magenta head alone without taking the whole head assembly out like they tell you to. No adjustments were needed at all, whew!
:smile:

DigitalBBQ

Make sure you are using all Genuine Miamaki dampers, do not mix and match dampers. Some aftermarket dampers do funny things to the pressure of the printhead!

bmw_ante

With theese compression dampers on the jv33 is it enough to take a syringe and suck ink from its buttom to prime them before attaching them to the printhead, Then just do a fill up ink ?

i Am going to replace all my dampers,

Or is it better to just change to new ones and then open the valves and suck trough the pump tube with a large syringe and then do a fill up ink?