• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 main board replacement

Rooster

So it would appear that my main board is toasted.

Has anybody replaced one on their own?

Mimaki (or my dealer's service department) is telling me that the settings cannot be updated through the front panel and will require a tech to update the settings from their backup after the board is replaced.

The maintenance manual tells me that if you can't connect to the usb that you need to enter the settings manually through the front panel.

Is there more than the 48 settings you have access to on the front panel that are required?

Also I'm currently running firmware version 2.2. It has a mimaki head in it so I'm not concerned about it getting bricked due to that, but will I run into issues with the newer main board if I try and replace it myself? Especially with the settings.

There's a considerable savings in parts and labour to do it myself, but if it requires a tech to change something I'm pretty sure they won't touch the machine (or use the parts) if I buy them and do the majority of it myself.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Replacing the physical board is easy and straight forward. Put all the cables back in to the right spot. I normally take a picture of where the cables went to be sure I get everything back in it's proper place. The board will come with a couple jumper cables. They also come with instructions on how and when to use them. Just read the instructions and do what they say and you will be fine. In your case I believe the jumper will be the one with the black cables and it goes into connection CN32 on the main board. But read it just to be sure.

There are two files you have to upload onto a new main board. One is the firmware and the other is the parameter file. Mimaki still has the 2.2 firmware version available so if you wanted to stay on that you could. You could also upgrade to 6.3 which is the latest version.

The parameter file is where it can get tricky. If you can still connect to your old board you can download the parameter files directly from the old board. Then you just upload it to the new one and the printer will turn on exactly how the old one did. If you can't connect to the old board, you have to contact Mimaki with your serial number and they will send you the printer's original parameter file. Once you upload the original parameter file the machine will act as if it is fresh from the factory and you will have to trick it into thinking it is already inked up by changing a few parameters. Then you will have to run all of the alignments and setup your basic settings like heat and auto cleaning cycle times.

You just have to find the Mimaki service tool to be able to upload the files and the firmware file. I can't give those out due to a non-disclosure agreement but you should be able to find them out in the internet or even here on signs101.

Rooster

Thank you very much for your reply.

I've found all the necessary tools and firmware versions online. Google's frickin amazing!

Where would I find the procedure to tell the printer it has ink in it? It isn't listed in the main board replacement section of the maintenance manual.

Since I can't download the parameters due to the USB chip being cooked, is it possible to change them through the front panel input should I have to? I don't think getting the firmware will be an issue, but the backup of the parameters might be difficult to obtain through my dealer.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you very much for your reply.

I've found a tool that's named "fwupd100.exe" (62.8 MB). Would this be what's required for uploading the firmware and the parameters?

Also where would I find the procedure to tell the printer it has ink in it? It isn't listed in the main board replacement section of the maintenance manual.

Since I can't download the parameters due to the USB chip being cooked, is it possible to change them through the front panel input should I have to? I don't think getting the firmware will be an issue, but the backup of the parameters might be difficult to obtain through my dealer.

The latest FW Update tool is 2.9 but 1.0 might work for you.

You can change these ink parameters...

Custom parameter 95: -1 default, 0 solvent ink, 1 water based

Custom parameter 96: -1 default, 1 4 color, 2 6 color +/- w

Running parameter 120 0 bypass prefill, 1 require prefill

Running parameter 121 0 empty prompts for ink type, 1 full bypass ink fill

You have to have a parameter file to start off with. You should be able to email Mimaki directly and just ask for your original parameters. They usually get back with me within an hour. It isn't advised and it can cause issues but you can use another machine's parameters to start but only do it if you are desperate.

Neil

Hi Rooster,
have you asked Kent at Macmedia if he can fix your existing board?
Would be a lot cheaper and easier.

BPSAFF

Do you have the parts? I have two JV33 units in my office that I have not used in over 2 years. Let me know what parts you want off them and I can send them to you as is. If your interested, name a fair price and I will see if I can remove the parts for you. Obviously the heads are no good but there may be other parts on the printers that would be of value to you. I had a tech tell me I could part it out but I just never think about it and to lazy to put them on ebay.

Rooster

Hi Rooster,
have you asked Kent at Macmedia if he can fix your existing board?
Would be a lot cheaper and easier.

No I haven't, but as I discovered while researching online that while many things on the board can be repaired, nobody seemed to have a solution for a cooked USB chip which seems to be my issue. So the people that did go the repair route didn't always get a board back that was fully functional when it came to the USB connectivity.

Money is tight right now, so I can't afford to go down a route that might only result in more expense and downtime.

Rooster

Do you have the parts? I have two JV33 units in my office that I have not used in over 2 years. Let me know what parts you want off them and I can send them to you as is. If your interested, name a fair price and I will see if I can remove the parts for you. Obviously the heads are no good but there may be other parts on the printers that would be of value to you. I had a tech tell me I could part it out but I just never think about it and to lazy to put them on ebay.

Yeah I could definitely use some parts. My Y-axis movement has started to make some noise during printing, so I could be in the market for the y-axis motor and some of the pullys, but it would be dependent on how old the parts are. That would be in addition to a mainboard. Let me know what you're thinking price wise.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
With the USB chip cooked you have no way to back up the parameters from your existing board. As long as the machine will still boot with the existing board you are okay though but it will be, as you noted early on, a manual process. You will have to boot it with the service mode enabled and then go into the parameters, menu and write down every single parameter and then manually put them into the new board once it is installed.

One important key as well is the machine meca size. With the new board installed you will want to boot directly to the parameter only mode to enter the new parameters. The meca size tells the board what width machine you have. The same board is used in all 3 sizes of the JV33 machines and if the new board happens to be set to a wider machine than what yours is, the head carriage will crash into the left end of the machine. Ideally once all is good, run the firmware update tool, select the proper prm file, then make a backup of the machine parameters. That way if anything every goes crazily wrong in the firmware or you have to replace the board again for some reason then you can just download the parameters backup instead of manually entering every single one.

Vander's tips on the ink config as usual are excellent advise as well. Those will prevent the machine from making you do a flush, fill, etc...

Rooster

OK so Mimaki was nice enough to provide the parameters file, but they said they were originally loaded onto firmware version 1.6 and that I should load that first. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of 1.6. The oldest I have is 1.8 which they said wasn't ideal but could be used in a pinch.

Does anybody have a copy of the 1.6 version firmware?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
2.0 is the lowest official Firmware so to get anything lower you have to find someone who just happens to have it in their misc folder. You should be fine using the 1.8 as the parameter file only changes with full version #'s.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same as what I have..... I have 1.8 through 6.0. Not sure I've ever run across anything prior to 1.8 before.

erikjem

where do u have machines ? i need parts also , regards

Hi Rooster, I have a JV33 that went down. Do you have a main board that is available?

jtinker

Owner
Sign in China has the spare parts for cheaper than your dealer and the service Manual with pictures and in depth instructions on how to replace it for free. Just replaced a Roland printhead with their parts and the service manual I got for free. If you can tinker with it then go for it and save yourself a few thousand dollars

kensign

hi guys,
looks like i run into the same problem. i burn my mimaki cjv 30-130. looking for mainboard and more.. also no parameters
and any other.. could you guys show some direction how to find the parts and change them correctly. Also may i ask for the firmware and other loading files.. Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-20_1-3-7.png
    upload_2018-6-20_1-3-7.png
    270 KB · Views: 460

Pregasen

Same as what I have..... I have 1.8 through 6.0. Not sure I've ever run across anything prior to 1.8 before.
Hi Sightline

Trust you are well. do i have Firmware version 2.2 for mimaki jv33. but i need firmware for Main pcb jv 33 160bs. i was running ss21 baord. but now twice it happened that its burning out transistors on main pcb. So only had stock on 160bs baord running version 4.3. error that comes up 205 42V head Voltage.

Please can i get help

Reards

Pregasen

netsol

Premium Subscriber
No I haven't, but as I discovered while researching online that while many things on the board can be repaired, nobody seemed to have a solution for a cooked USB chip which seems to be my issue. So the people that did go the repair route didn't always get a board back that was fully functional when it came to the USB connectivity.

Money is tight right now, so I can't afford to go down a route that might only result in more expense and downtime.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
in the past we repaired many boards, but now my eyesight is getting worse and my hand shakes too much...

i am surprised, a usb chip repair should be one of the easiest, and most common repairs. generally this happens in heating season from a static discharge, you walk across the carpet &'touch the machine and get a little shock. this can be fatal to the machine.

BUY A HUMIDIFIER

that and a decent battery backup prevents90% of these problems.
touch something metal BEFORE you touch the printer