• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jv33 won't boot up after head replacement

jacksonsigns

I replaced the head in my JV33 and now it won't turn on. It was not a genuine Mimaki head but I have an older firmware (1.7 i think) so I didn't think that would be a problem. When I turn the power on the screen reads "boot" for a fraction of a second and then goes blank. I unplugged and drained all power before replacing the head so I don't think anything is fried. I believe it is protecting itself from something and won't boot up.
Steps I have tried-

check all connections= no luck
install new data cables = no luck
re install old head = no luck
check all connections again = still no luck!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

FatCat

I'm not a Mimaki guy, but I believe JV-33 printers are particular on the heads they use - not sure if it matters on older firmware...
*Also did you re-enter the new head numbers for the new head, or do you still have it set to the old head #'s?

jacksonsigns

I'm not a Mimaki guy, but I believe JV-33 printers are particular on the heads they use - not sure if it matters on older firmware...
*Also did you re-enter the new head numbers for the new head, or do you still have it set to the old head #'s?

I've been told that the newer firmware is what blocks the heads so to speak. I can't enter the new head numbers until I get it to turn on. Thank you for your response.

ToasTuk

I'm used to the mutohs and they warn if a head fuse is blown not sure if the mimaki does, Might be worth testing these with the machine off and an ohm meter to ensure none are blown. They are anti surge ones so will blow very easy to protect the head.
if you have to buy some then buy a few.

TheSnowman

Hey Mike,

I just ordered an OEM head from Advantage. I was debating rather to pay the tech $1,000 to come install it, or see if it was something I could do myself. Did you have any instructions or videos to help you out, or do you just know your way around it already? I'm hoping since it's OEM I can avoid anything like this scenario. Hope you can find a solution.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Replacing a head on a JV33 is dead simple and easy. I'm honestly not sure what would be causing it to not boot at all. You did the right things - most importantly letting it sit unplugged for a while before disconnecting anything to make certain all capacitors are discharged of any residual voltage. I don't unplug it though, I hit the front power button on the front to let it shut down, then turn off the main power switch on the side, then let it sit for at least 15 minutes. I leave the cord connected because that does keep the machine grounded. The side switch disconnects power but leaves the chassis ground still connected.

Mimaki's electrical troubleshooting states

Machine doesn’t turn ON at all. - Static damage - Guide to customer, Touch metal parts to remove static before touch slider.

jacksonsigns

Hey Mike,

I just ordered an OEM head from Advantage. I was debating rather to pay the tech $1,000 to come install it, or see if it was something I could do myself. Did you have any instructions or videos to help you out, or do you just know your way around it already? I'm hoping since it's OEM I can avoid anything like this scenario. Hope you can find a solution.

This is my first Mimaki but the head replacement is pretty simple. The Mimaki's are a lot harder to fine tune after replacing the head than the Roland's I am used to working on. It is very important that you get a jewelers loop in order to get it printing its best.

TheSnowman

Were you able to fix your problem yet? And did you have instructions or did you just start taking parts apart until you got where you knew you were headed? Still trying to find instructions...just want reassurance I guess.

jacksonsigns

Problem Solved!

I found an electrical troubleshoot guide for the circuit boards posted on here (I believe by SightLine). With that I found that I had a problem with the main board. No sure exactly what it was as the guide has you check Ω's over several areas. the area that had the problem was tp8 (I believe it just stands for "test pin 8"). It only had 1.5 Ω when it should of had 17-18 Ω. I sent the board back to MacMedia ont Monday, got it back from them on Wednesday. Installed it and everything works perfect. I'm not sure how I fried the main board, MacMedia said that it could have been caused by the old head going bad or having the data cables in crooked. On a side note, the reason I was replacing the head in the first place was because one whole side of black was not printing which is usually electrical, when I was replacing the head I found dried ink where the data cable connects to the head. My guess it that it was shorting out from there. BTW it only cost 200.00 to have the board repaired and it was lightning fast service.

Thank you all for your input.

jacksonsigns

Were you able to fix your problem yet? And did you have instructions or did you just start taking parts apart until you got where you knew you were headed? Still trying to find instructions...just want reassurance I guess.

There are instructions on this forum, it's in the sticky at the top called Mimaki bible. Although I must say that Mimaki instructions are probably the worst I have ever seen. lol