• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

K of C vector

7oaks

Anyone know where I can get a Knights of Columbus
vector image? for a modest fee of course.

Ken

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Knights of Columbus

Last time I did something for them I contacted the head offices and after signing an license agreement was supplied the current file. The link shown above is for a version that has been kicking around a long time and, which I wouldn't use unless the customer okayed it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Breaking the law seems kind of harsh.

Were you authorized by someone with authority to have you redraw it? Almost certainly not.

Eyehawk

I was joking of course. Note the sarcastic smiley face.

I had no fear that the Knights would come after me since one of their members wanted a poster for their upcoming food and drinking fest.

Now, if you want to get serious, would I have a problem passing that logo on to another artist? Not really.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Saw the face ... others might not. This is a topic that comes up a lot. My post was an attempt to clarify for the benefit of newbies today, next month or next year who might read your remarks and think this was a normal practice in handling intellectual property.

As my first post in the thread alluded: Many organizations including K of C are concerned about both consistency and controlling the use of their marks. When I obtained my copy of the authorized mark from the national organization, I was working for the head man at the local level. He did not have the authority to provide the mark, so what authority do you think a member has?

Would you have a problem passing along your version? No I suppose not. That's no different than directing someone to go to BrandsoftheWorld.com to download an unauthorized version there. Most times the job doesn't call for anything more. But people should be aware of the difference and that using authorized versions is worth doing when it is readily available even if it does require a little more effort.

It accomplishes two things: 1) It assures all parties that the work uses current marks, and 2) It respects the organization's right to control how, when and by whom their intellectual property is used.

Eyehawk

If that were the case, Fred, then K of C would have ditched the logo on Best Brands a long time ago. Why allow an obsolete logo to be available otherwise.

And what is the Best Brands web site for but to use the logos in local situations. It's there for the taking. If those companies didn't want them used they would not make them available, IMO.

I have done work for many national firms without artwork available. I will use whatever I have at my command, be it from the internet or a scan of their logo. If I had to wait for some sort of OK from all those head offices, I'd lose half my business.

I understand the use of logos, and I would never abuse them. But I work on a time schedule that most bigger businesses apparently don't have to meet, so I does what I have ta does.

If that is wrong, then most sign people I know should be lined up and shot, I guess.

I have no compunction to use one of those if I am doing a Ford sign for a Ford dealer, and the dealer has nothing to give to me. Afterall, it is for the betterment of a Ford associate.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
All that I'm suggesting is that attempting to get a mark from authorized sources is preferable than obtaining it from unauthorized ones or taking the time to set one up yourself from art at hand. When you say

If that were the case, Fred, then K of C would have ditched the logo on Best Brands a long time ago. Why allow an obsolete logo to be available otherwise.

And what is the Best Brands web site for but to use the logos in local situations. It's there for the taking. If those companies didn't want them used they would not make them available, IMO.

you are demonstrating the reality of human nature of assuming that because something is there it is legitimate. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Brands of the World is becoming a source of first resort to many because it's pretty quick and easy. But you are drawing a totally incorrect conclusion as to its legitimacy. It is a site that operates in Russia where no one cares if they redistribute logos without authorization. Their content has been obtained through any means available including copying collections on CD from other publishers without permission and accepting uploads from anyone who wants to make them.

Their sources are, therefore, not authorized either. As far as I can tell, they are unconcerned about accuracy or about removal of obsolete versions. Any owner of a mark is powerless to get these replicas of their mark(s) removed and it is almost certain that no mark owners are cooperating with Brands of the World.

Does that mean that you or anyone else should not use BOTW? No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm simply pointing out the facts that these are not authorized marks and that using them should be a third or fourth choice down the ladder. Further, that if you or anyone does use their content, to check it carefully for accuracy and currency. And most of all, understand that reproducing logos is a dicey business at best with sites like BOTW capable of saving you time but also capable of placing you in a bad situation should you produce something that a mark owner hasn't actually authorized and wants to make an example out of you for producing an unauthorized mark that he owns..

Eyehawk

I understand your position, Fred, and I wasn't saying that I would use the site for anything other than legitimate reasons. But, when I get a rotten EPS from a customer, and I can pick up a good copy before I have to draw it, I will do so.

In over half of my jobs, the artwork the cutomer provides is worthless, and they need their job done in a hurry. When a guy is pressed, he uses what is available.

Thanks for not jumping down my back.