• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Kiss Cut on a Zund/Summa/Kongsberg

DrunknMonk

Hi all, does anyone use the above machines to kiss cut vinyls (printed & laminated) ?

We bought a rebranded machine, everything works well a part from the kiss cutting. it does work its just not brill, either to deep or not deep enough, over the whole bed (1.6 x 2.5m)

Can anyone tell me if there KCT blade moves up and down in the holder, (pressure moves it) ours does, we were told its to compensate for the conveyor belt, we can set it to move as much or as little as we want. (its like it has play in it, spring loaded)

Ive been using roll vinyl cutters for 25+ years and they have all been fixed and cutting on the hard cutting strip, and all worked very good including the Summa S2 cutter we currently use.

Im trying to fine tune it, it take hrs to get it just right.

the way we were shown to set it up was, just have the blades tip out of the holder, (minimum as we can) then by hand press the tool holder firmly on the vinyl and cut a circle, just so it scratches the backing sheet.

we do this but then we have pressure from the software, play in the tool holder its self (up and down) and we can adjust the tool its self.

It just seam very hit and miss, to many things to change, not sure what each thing does.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Gary

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I don't think any of the real brands have that sort of wonky system. You set the pressure in the software and of it goes.

Take a picture of the setup, how does the tool look like!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I don't have a flatbed cutter... But why wouldn't you just dial it in like any other plotter?

Jburns

I think blade depth in the holder is the most important thing- Vinyl plus laminate - were talking microns right? Pressure is one thing, but I am assuming you have a blade holder, that you can adjust its depth

ToTo

Professional Support
On zund it’s spring loaded. Try with the through cut the flatnes of your table. Put a substrate onto table and set cutting deep to 0.1 mm so that it just scratches the surface. Move the knife over the whole table and check if it is everywhere similar. If not your table is misaligned

CanuckSigns

On the summa, the kiss cutting tool is spring loaded, it's the only tool where the parameters are not set in the software. You need to set both the depth of cut and the pressure manually.

victor bogdanov

Spring loaded on the Colex, blade out just enough to scratch the backer. No pressure setting that I'm aware of, maybe there is one but I haven't had to use it going from kiss cutting 2 mil vinyl up to 8 mil vinyl, just adjust blade extension. kiss cuts as good as a Graphtec but slower, Very similar blades and blade holder to Graphtec

Christian @ 2CT Media

Awesome, we are looking at adding one to help with cutting wrap panels and kiss cut graphics, along with our 2 160TCs. Our Multicam Celero is utter crap for kiss cutting, everything else is fine.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Are we still talking about Summa flat bed? I Have a fairly new Summa T2, loved it until we started having issues. But if you all are referring to a flat bed.. I'll be quiet .

Christian @ 2CT Media

Awesome, we are looking at adding one to help with cutting wrap panels and kiss cut graphics, along with our 2 160TCs. Our Multicam Celero is utter crap for kiss cutting, everything else is fine.
What's funny is I posted this, and now it's the end of this year and I tried kiss cutting again. Multicam is worthless when it comes to Support getting back to us, so we dove in and started testing again today just to have an alternative to our Summas. It is not intuitive but it is actually decent at kiss cutting and crazy fast since we can run 100% acceleration and 7500ipm.

Bengt Backhaus

I worked with both S3 and G3 machines daily for around 10 years.
I think they are superb at just about anything... Except kiss-cutting!
It works, but as you say: its not very good.
I cut as much as possible in our Summa and only used the Zünds in emergencies.
Our KCT was springloaded, so the whole head moved up/down and the knife was static in the KCT.

Attachments

• 1703081987108.png
    1703081987108.png
    26 KB · Views: 45