• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Knifeless Tape Shelf Life

amw

I was cleaning out my storage unit (climate controlled) and came across a couple rolls (5) of knifeless tape. I tried a little with some scrap color change wrap film and it did not want to cut.
It also did not really want to stay stuck to the surface that it was applied to.

My question is does this stuff have a shelf life and if so about how long is it?

I would guess its been sitting for 8+ years.

I also came across a roll of Phototex, I dont think that is going to be good anymore. I remember the job it was for and that was from 2012!

Thank you!

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Oh yeah, 8 years is a long time for most tapes, but especially thin, removable knifeless.

The filament itself should be fine, but the brittle green tape and old adhesive will cause more trouble than it’s worth if you’re planning to use it for actual installs.

Probably couldn’t use it for intricate curves, but test it on some straights. At the end of the day most shops only need a roll of 1/8” finish line for bumper cut-outs/inlets, if they even do those.

Everything else is usually faster and safer hand-trimmed anyway, but if you actually need knifeless and it’s a paying customer, I wouldn’t use the crusty stuff.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Funny you should ask. About 2 months ago, I was gonna order some knifeless tape for a job and suddenly found the box with 3 rolls in it. It was at least 6 years old, if not more. It worked just fine. Once or twice, it was a little tricky getting it started, but we managed. Just left a bit longer lead on it.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
put it on a substrate and heat it up. then pull it.

had you found these a few months ago it would have been gold.

kirkbedtelyon

Ironically I just discovered 3 rolls of my own. All three have curvy floss (see pics). It doesn't seem like that would have happened due to age but maybe? EDIT: I guess it makes sense. The carrier tape would shrink over time but the filament would not. Duh. Still sucks.

Attachments

• 20230221_112057.jpg
    20230221_112057.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 87
  • 20230221_112538.jpg
    20230221_112538.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

amw

Thanks everyone. I have never used any. I have always used a knife since I started back in 2000.
I will try some out again when I have some free time.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Brand new unopened Design-line & Finish-line from the distributor here does not stick very well. Especially if you have to lift the material and work it around some compound curves - almost always gets stuck to the vinyl. 2080 and 180c are super aggressive out here so maybe not the tape's fault. It's handy for a few things but plain old hand-cutting seems to get things done faster.