• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lam Separated From Vinyl, Again

dypinc

I am beginning to think the problem is related to lower pressure and not enough dwell time, but until people report what pressures and dwell time they are using we may never know for sure. All I know is some of us don't see it which seems to come down to the method of application of the over-lam and the brand of media and lam.

Sign.ed

I am beginning to think the problem is related to lower pressure and not enough dwell time, but until people report what pressures and dwell time they are using we may never know for sure. All I know is some of us don't see it which seems to come down to the method of application of the over-lam and the brand of media and lam.

I have never had an issue with my Avery separating. I have used it in 3 shops and two very different climates on 4 different manufac. of laminators. We have done everything from full edge to edge prints, block colors, wraps, intricate PLD, and we have taken it off our 570, loaded it on our laminator, and die cut it in the same day.

When I run roll to roll lam, I even run the speed up to the max on our machine, so it doesn't have much dwell time, but also run the pressure as high as i can too. I have yet to have Avery "just come off" without it destroying the print it was mounted too.

Maybe there are bad batches out there, but I have't had one and I have ordered nearly 40 rolls of 1360 in the last 6 months.

So without people reporting their bad rolls to Avery and allowing Avery to track the issue, and see if it comes from a particular plant, etc., my vote goes to user/setting error.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
....I have't had one and I have ordered nearly 40 rolls of 1360 in the last 6 months.....my vote goes to user/setting error.

Nope. It's not user or setting error. If you've been reading the thread, it's "particular" and not "general"....and seems to be an anti-scratch chemical that is migrating to the surface during curing and is more of an issue with certain laminates than others.
Namely from what I've seen...mostly on Avery 1060 (not 1360) and not so far on 3M's stuff.

It does it on 1360 as well. We have 570’s and although it doesn’t just peel off like some of the other posts stated, if you have like an overlap and you peel it back off, you run the risk of it peeing the lower layers laminate.

RichardG

I know this an old post but I just wanted to add that this is still an issue 5 years later. It is what brought me here. We use a HP 365 with Avery 1105/1360 lam and I have been having this same exact problem. Reading these different experiences, leads me to believe that either it is the anti-scratch coating or our laminating process. We do not have a roll to roll laminator. We use an applicator table and I don't think it puts enough pressure down to allow the laminate to properly adhere. I did try laminated the day before once and it did seem to be better the next day. So if anyone else has this issue, you could maybe try that.

Joe House

Yes, it's been found that if you give the laminate adhesive more dwell time on the print, the adhesion is improved for when you go to stretch and apply.

Good luck.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yes, it's been found that if you give the laminate adhesive more dwell time on the print, the adhesion is improved for when you go to stretch and apply.

Good luck.
I printed, plotted, weeded, and masked graphics that sat for 3 weeks before applying, and on the blue areas the lam separated and the red did not. This was on arlon slx and 3270, after application, trying to lift and reapply a spot with a wrinkle. Couldn't say what I did different, it's never happened before or since.

Joe House

Yeah, time generally improves the adhesion like most other adhesive vinyls. It didn't always prevent the problem. There was an issue with that generation of ink. That's why the next generation of inks includes a top coat that you can turn off for laminated prints.
Must have Gremlins in the shop the day you laminated that job.

Good Luck