• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminate failure photos?

Marlene

anyone have any photos of what a cheap, substandard laminate on a digital print looks like? I looked online and can find nothing. what I am looking for is a photo of a sign that shows the brownish mess and such of a laminate that didn't do a great job of protecting the print. thanks

DerbyCitySignGuy

Is this what you're looking for?

20151109_110742.jpg

Marlene

the ones I've seen got replaced before I was able to snap a pix. they looked burned or rusted and at the top they were peeling off the substrate.

humble sign co

anyone have any photos of what a cheap, substandard laminate on a digital print looks like? I looked online and can find nothing. what I am looking for is a photo of a sign that shows the brownish mess and such of a laminate that didn't do a great job of protecting the print. thanks
We did't make this so can't say what laminate was used. Its about 5 years ago. I never could figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3286-1.jpg
    IMG_3286-1.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 308

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
While I have no photos of malfesant laminate, in this area at ~5,000' elevation the failures are legion. A quick drive around town will show many examples. I've had a few myself using Oracal 290 which is supposed to be a premium laminate. After 5-6 +- years a number of jobs laminated with 290 have browned out.

I no longer laminate anything unless the client throws a weapons grade temper tantrum. I clear coat everything with Clear Shield. It has far better UV protection. It's reasonably tough but not as tough as a vinyl laminate. Case in point is my own truck. ~7 years ago I covered the tailgate with a panel and put three panels on the hood. Same material, prints on 3M180mc metallic silver. The tailgate panel was laminated with Oracal 290 and the hood panels were clear coated with Clear Shield Original Formula [now Clear Shield Classic]. The tailgate started to deteriorate about 18 months ago to the point where I removed the panel as it was more of a condemnation than an advertisement. The hood looks just like the day I put it on.

Marlene

While I have no photos of malfesant laminate, in this area at ~5,000' elevation the failures are legion. A quick drive around town will show many examples. I've had a few myself using Oracal 290 which is supposed to be a premium laminate. After 5-6 +- years a number of jobs laminated with 290 have browned out.

I no longer laminate anything unless the client throws a weapons grade temper tantrum. I clear coat everything with Clear Shield. It has far better UV protection. It's reasonably tough but not as tough as a vinyl laminate. Case in point is my own truck. ~7 years ago I covered the tailgate with a panel and put three panels on the hood. Same material, prints on 3M180mc metallic silver. The tailgate panel was laminated with Oracal 290 and the hood panels were clear coated with Clear Shield Original Formula [now Clear Shield Classic]. The tailgate started to deteriorate about 18 months ago to the point where I removed the panel as it was more of a condemnation than an advertisement. The hood looks just like the day I put it on.

we have our prints done with an automotive grade UV clear coat that is srayed on and have signs out there that are years old and look great. we don't have a flatbed so we out source it. I am a big fan of the clear coat vs laminate.

2B

Here is an example saw the other day this gives you an idea of what the sign is supposed to be.

Needless to say I got an exasperated eye roll when I made a U turn to take pictures of the signs
7081acba75922690acc3f188fd6244be.jpg
06cb0e666178ec56ec2555e4037251a5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

ironchef

I always thought the dark areas were from not waiting enough time for the solvents to outgas before laminating? I'm guessing from what I've read above it's just from cheap, non-uv laminates?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DerbyCitySignGuy

I always thought the dark areas were from not waiting enough time for the solvents to outgas before laminating? I'm guessing from what I've read above it's just from cheap, non-uv laminates?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes. The dark areas are UV damage. Not outgassing is a different beast altogether and causes different issues.

[Edit: I have heard that the evaporation of the solvents can react with the adhesives on the laminate and cause the same kind of damage. I'm not a chemist, so I can't say for sure, but that's just what I've been told.]

Last edited:

DerbyCitySignGuy

Here is an example saw the other day this gives you an idea of what the sign is supposed to be.

Needless to say I got an exasperated eye roll when I made a U turn to take pictures of the signs
7081acba75922690acc3f188fd6244be.jpg
06cb0e666178ec56ec2555e4037251a5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Whew! Looks like several of those signs are in desperate need of replacement!

bob

So what does it look like when you don't outgas?

It looks pretty much the same as when you do. Outgassing is a myth the best use of which is to scare small children into going to bed.It's also a handy scapegoat on which to blame a lot of operator error.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yes, definitely take Bob's word for it over engineers at companies like 3M.

One of the main things you'll notice from outgassing is adhesion issues.

bob

Yes, definitely take Bob's word for it over engineers at companies like 3M.

One of the main things you'll notice from outgassing is adhesion issues.

Ah the revealed word from the great white fathers at 3M. That settles it eh? Solvent dries via evaporation in minutes if not seconds. That being the the case, from whence comes the gas that scares people? Now then, once the ink has dried there remains certain structural changes in printed vinyl that tends to make it a bit more laterally unstable. In other words it can be a bit rubbery for a while. That has little or nothing to do with the evaporative drying of the ink.

My own experience is that there is little difference in dealing with a print straight out of the printer or letting it hang around for a while. The majority of the laminate failures being discussed here have to do with UV damage over time. What that might have to do with the legend of outgassing bog only knows.