• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate question.

showcase 66

I ran into a guy just a little bit ago applying some printed vinyl onto a box truck. I stopped and talked to him for a second since I have never seen him before and because I was in my wifes car. She doesnt allow me to have the business stuff on it. The vinyl seemed a little flimsy and didnt seem to act like the stuff I usually use. I asked him if his was protected from fading and he told me he puts a uv laminate over the printed vinyl after he has applied it the the truck.

This caught me off guard since I have always applied the vinyl with the laminate already on it. He said it was just like regular vinyl that he applies just like he would the printed stuff.

I dont have my own printer and I outsource the printing. I was under the impression that you can apply it cold either with a big squeegee or a laminator, but have never heard of anyone applying it after you have applied the graphics.

Curious to know if you can do it this way or not. To me it gives you one more shot at screwing the application up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can drive your car with your feet if you wanted to, doesnt make it a good idea though.

I think if you'd ask Fred or Barney, you would most certainly get a different answer. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know how you would reposition it without taking the actual printed areas off from time to time from the vinyl already on.

MikePro

20 bux says he doesn't have a laminator... and figures its just as easy to double his labor every job. ijdk

showcase 66

I have thought about doing it before when I ordered the vinyl and forgot to have them laminate it for me, but I sent it back to have it laminated instead. An extra $30 on shipping but I figured it was cheaper than having to redo it.

Next question. On see through vinyl, how many people laminate over it. I had a customer come back yelling at me because I didnt laminate the vinyl. I did but it was the liquid spray laminate. I had to explain it to him and then was told another sign guy told him that it would go bad in 6 months without the laminate. Not sure who told him this but I know there is one guy who laminates over the op of view thru.

Flame

Next question. On see through vinyl, how many people laminate over it. I had a customer come back yelling at me because I didnt laminate the vinyl. I did but it was the liquid spray laminate. I had to explain it to him and then was told another sign guy told him that it would go bad in 6 months without the laminate. Not sure who told him this but I know there is one guy who laminates over the op of view thru.

We talking perf? YES, laminate with optically clear lam or you will have failure. Never seen perf carry ink as well as regular vinyl, but that's not your biggest concern. What IS a concern.... is when it rains. You can't see out the perf!

Now as far as the original question. That's crazy, he's doubling his time.... just write it off as someone who doesn't know what they're doing and move on.

showcase 66

Yes I was talking about perf. I usually call it view thru for my customers. They seem to grasp the idea better than calling it perforated. I had a lady ask me if it was easier to rip since it was perforated. Anyways. Most guys around here dont use a vinyl laminate. they either use the spray or non at all. The people who I outsource my printing to use liquid as well. They told me that putting laminate over it will cause moisture in between the glass and the laminate. Just like a dual pained window when the seal is broken.