• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate & substrate for dimensional lettering/logos

vinylvillain

Our company just purchased a vision engraver/router 2550 2x4 machine. I say "just" purchased, but it was March of 2015. Our main operator is a good guy and has learned quite a bit by himself (routing acrylic/ada/gator/ultra board/polystyrene stencils etc). One of the things we haven't been able to really look into it is the process in which a finishing laminate (say brushed silver metal) is on a substrate (substrate being acrylic, gator, or PVC etc.).

My question is, is there a company that just sells the laminate? Can we just purchase sheets of the laminate to be used on different substrates, or does the material come bonded as 1 piece? if it comes bonded in one piece, WHERE can I purchase a material like this? See photo attached. PhotoGrid_1478894320101.jpg

MikePro

rubber contact cement bonds most sheets together well. industrial suppliers got the good stuff, by the gallon.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We buy our laminate sheets straight from Wilsonart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossmosh

"Formica" and thin aluminum should work well. Rubber cement and laminate glue is most commonly used but if you don't want to deal with it, you should be able to use roll adhesive. It's going to be a lot more expensive doing it that way but you won't have to worry about the smell and should cure up a bit faster.

You might consider doing the first pass with a downcut bit so you're not pulling up on the laminate and then finish the cut with an upcut bit.

TSC1985

Does anyone know where to purchase just that aluminum top piece? We are looking for a .020-.025" thick piece with a brushed or clear milled finish

JJM7288

Find the nearest Chemetal dealer, good stuff. We use 3M 468MP to laminate Chemetal desired substrate, using the Rolls Roller.