• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating for banner

Mattc

Hi all.
I am printing banners with my Epson 7800 printer. However, the banner printed with Epson is only for indoor use since it is pigment ink. It is OK for short term use but still not very durable. I printed 6 banners for my client last week and one of them already got a big scratch on the first day. So, I laminated for second try and was very satisfied with the result. It looks better and stronger.
I was thinking I could get solvent ink printer to eliminate needs for laminating, but I saw many people buying solvent printer and laminator. If the banner printed with solvent printer still needs laminating, what's the difference between pigment inkjet printer and solvent printer?

TheSnowman

We don't laminate any banners we print, I don't really think anyone that prints w/ solvents does. You probably COULD, because if you are really rough w/ them, they will still scratch...but a banner is normally short term signage, so laminating would just be redundant. Now as far as regular vinyl, you SHOULD laminate anything that leaves your shop...but I'm sure there's lots of different opinions on that one as well.

Mattc

Here, signs101 I saw many people saying their list of purchase, solvent printer and laminator together. That's why I thought they laminate the banner they printed with solvent ink. If they don't laminate banners printed with solvent ink, why they add $5000 laminator for the first thing to purchase with solvent printer?
Sorry for the naive newbie question.:Big Laugh

We don't laminate any banners we print, I don't really think anyone that prints w/ solvents does. You probably COULD, because if you are really rough w/ them, they will still scratch...but a banner is normally short term signage, so laminating would just be redundant. Now as far as regular vinyl, you SHOULD laminate anything that leaves your shop...but I'm sure there's lots of different opinions on that one as well.

jay*doc

If I understand correctly, you are asking why people with solvent machines need a laminator. It's for work other then banners, such as signage, car wraps and decals.

Most banners that I know of are not laminated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi all.
I am printing banners with my Epson 7800 printer. However, the banner printed with Epson is only for indoor use since it is pigment ink. It is OK for short term use but still not very durable. I printed 6 banners for my client last week and one of them already got a big scratch on the first day. So, I laminated for second try and was very satisfied with the result. It looks better and stronger.
I was thinking I could get solvent ink printer to eliminate needs for laminating, but I saw many people buying solvent printer and laminator. If the banner printed with solvent printer still needs laminating, what's the difference between pigment inkjet printer and solvent printer?

Pigmented ink usually refers to aqueous based inks.... dye or pigmented. Dye for eye popping colors for indoor use while pigmented for outdoor applications. Solvent are just that.... true solvent or mild/eco-sol ink.

As mentioned.... laminate protects the entire print from scratches, marring and harsh detergents, while also adding some U/V protection to boot.

Mattc

OK, I understood.
Thank you all for reply on my question.

If I understand correctly, you are asking why people with solvent machines need a laminator. It's for work other then banners, such as signage, car wraps and decals.

Most banners that I know of are not laminated.

J Hill Designs

Also, alot of ppl liquid lam their banners for a little more durability, and I guess the colors 'pop' a bit more - usually Clearshield I believe.