• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating Long Runs... Problems...

cptcorn

adad
I have a Seal 54 Base.

Laminate goes in perfect, take up real takes up backing paper perfectly straight. My problem is that when I laminate print longer than that, I get buckling/wrinkling in the middle at the end.

How does everyone line up their prints when laminating prints that are longer than say 8-10 feet long. I have about 120' of vinyl to laminate. I'd like to just laminate the whole roll than split up each individual panel.

I was taught on an Banner American Hot Laminator with 2 sets of nip rollers and I could easily laminate that long of a print with that. On the scale of product quality I'd say the Seal is a lot better laminator in comparisson. Comparing build quality.

I'm kind of stumped though.

Rodan68

I have a different model Seal laminator and used to have the same problem. I was told to adjust the nip setting so when it's set at "0" there is actually a small gap between the rollers. I can barely slide a piece of laser paper across the length of the rollers. Also make sure the right and left side gaps are even. Since then I haven't had any of those problems as long as the print starts off well.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S

cptcorn

adad
What's your guys' process of actually feeding the print in, describe it like I know nothing.... ignore settings... Trying to start from the beginning, pretending I have no idea what I'm doing.... which I probably dont... haha

cptcorn

adad
I think I found the source of my frustration....

Here is a photo of the 54 Base we have and a 62 Base. The 62 base has a roller directly attached to the table.... what roller is that and where do i get it?

Attachments

• lamfront.jpg
    lamfront.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 305
  • CIMG1270.jpg
    CIMG1270.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 299

Signs4Realtors

I have a 62" laminator and when I try long runs and there are problems with the middle portion of the print/laminate it is usually because the laminator rollers are too tight and they are gripping too much on the left and right sides and not in the middle. Once I loosen up on the rollers so there is an even microscopic gap between the rollers all the way across the rollers everything laminates fine. Hope this helps!

CheapVehicleWrap

951, hmm, you actually run with a gap? That mean no pressure at all?

cptcorn, WOW, you don't have a roller on the table? i have the roller and if I crank the source roll too tight it will do as you described. 65" enduralam here.

cptcorn

adad
I have a 62" laminator and when I try long runs and there are problems with the middle portion of the print/laminate it is usually because the laminator rollers are too tight and they are gripping too much on the left and right sides and not in the middle. Once I loosen up on the rollers so there is an even microscopic gap between the rollers all the way across the rollers everything laminates fine. Hope this helps!
I'm set at 50-60 pressure.
951, hmm, you actually run with a gap? That mean no pressure at all?

cptcorn, WOW, you don't have a roller on the table? i have the roller and if I crank the source roll too tight it will do as you described. 65" enduralam here.
I'm not even sure if this mysterious roller is available for the 54/base. I've tried sooooo many different methods at feeding these prints its made me sick. Unrolled and loosely double folded out on the table, on the rear take up roller, etc etc etc... The laminator I learned on had a feed roller under the the table and I'm so used to that. I thought I was doing something horribly wrong to begin with on this Seal that was purchased before my time here. I've had a hard time believing anyone would have such a hard time laminating.

cptcorn

adad
Just got off the phone with Seal. It's part of the Roll to Roll option for the 62 base. There is not a kit for the 54 base. The tech I spoke to said you might be able to cut the tube down, and mount the brackets, but wasn't sure.

CheapVehicleWrap

I doubt if you could cut it. You wouldn't be able to do that to mine.
As odd as it sounds that you are sans roller, perhaps you really don't need one. It's a decent brand and did come without it.

Is the vinyl really tight going over that edge or jumping?

Bly

I have a Seal Image 62 Plus.
On long runs of wide (60") vinyl wrinkles will happen.
I found the best way to avoid these is to stay on top of the feed - and exert pressure on the vinyl with my hands, pressing out from the centre, keeping the vinyl taut. A bit hard to describe. Maybe there is something wrong with the setup but this solution works!

cptcorn

adad
I doubt if you could cut it. You wouldn't be able to do that to mine.
As odd as it sounds that you are sans roller, perhaps you really don't need one. It's a decent brand and did come without it.

Is the vinyl really tight going over that edge or jumping?

If I roll a 10' print out onto the table, it will begin to track off to the left after about 6'-7' .

If I run it from the rear take up roll, over the table, it buckles. It's been awhile since I've tried that.

If i run it from the rear take up roll, under the table directly into the nip rollers it runs straight as an arrow but buckles eventually after about 10'-12'.

I will say this laminator is awesome. Even without that option it laminates soooo nicely. That is, unless your print is over 8'-10' long it seems. Owner here should have went with the 62 base at the least. What's the point of buying a 60" printer?

Oi

CheapVehicleWrap

Well if not, and I suspect by your answer they're not..all bets are off.

It can be simpler than that...take a piece of vinyl maybe 6" wide x 1 foot.

Lower the roller until you can just slide it underneath on the left side with some friction. Pull out, move to the right. Same feel?

cptcorn

adad
Well if not, and I suspect by your answer they're not..all bets are off.

It can be simpler than that...take a piece of vinyl maybe 6" wide x 1 foot.

Lower the roller until you can just slide it underneath on the left side with some friction. Pull out, move to the right. Same feel?

Yup, I actually have a large set of feeler gauges here and they're spot on it seems... I'm still gonna try the black paper/laminate thing too.

CheapVehicleWrap

Whoah, I'd be careful with those feelers! Vinyl's pretty consistent and can't gouge the rollers. Well if your feeler gauges showed good i guess that's out.