• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help laminating..

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
so. does anyone have any tips on laminating smaller widths than the roll? i have a 54 inch laminator but i want to run 30 inch material and 48 inch material through it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Center it up and use a good tape measure to get the rolls straight..the media and the lamination. As long as your laminator feeds straight, you should be fine.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What Bill said, also, if you save your liner for feed, you can put it beneath the vinyl and run it through. so the extra lam sticks to that instead of your laminator.

ledhead

Is your laminate 54 inch? If so, in our shop we use the wasted paper backing from laminate. it does not work the greatest with longer lengths but for short pieces it works fine. It likes to get bunch up and wrinkle on the longer runs. Hope this helps.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
What Bill said, also, if you save your liner for feed, you can put it beneath the vinyl and run it through. so the extra lam sticks to that instead of your laminator.
I've done that and it seems to bunch up under. Is there a trick ? perhaps tape it?

netsol

no, just looked for a video with a sled.

we have daige quikmount 3 38"
daige quikmount 55"
royal sovereign 65"
seal 4000 44" heated

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
no, just looked for a video with a sled.

we have daige quikmount 3 38"
daige quikmount 55"
royal sovereign 65"
seal 4000 44" heated
well, My original question was running a piece not as wide as the 54 inches through. I don't have a piece of laminate to place on top to do that with. So, it doesn't seem to make sense to do this.
Unless I'm missing something.

Ok, what's a sled?
Sorry! I missed this question last week...

A "sled" is a piece of board with mounting adhesive applied to one side that has the release paper left on - this make a surface that the laminate won't stick to. You put the piece of vinyl down on the sled, then take a piece of laminate cut a bit larger than your printed piece and start it was printed adhesive vinyl you were going to mount.

Here's a real quick example:
sled laminating.jpg

Also, found this video...it's a small manual laminator, but it's all the same idea. Looks like someone else posted the same video! I'll leave it here anyway. Hope this helps!