• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating

bagdaddys

Not sure if this is the correct spot to raise this questions but here you go.

My medium that my logos get applied to is 3/4" plywood. I am curious to know if it is possible to completely laminate the plywood (top, bottom and edges) in order to protect the logos from the elements.

I have seen some machines capable of laminating material in that thickness but I have never actually done it myself.

If it will help to see my product to get a better understanding you can check it out at www.bagdaddys.com

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your advise.

edgette

Do you want to stop painting all of the graphics or just your logo? Since it's wood why not use a product that will seal wood from the elements.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your site says these things are custom built and hand-painted. I highly doubt laminating them would be considered custom over hand laminating them by spraying or hand-painting them.... let alone as good.

Most machines I know of will do top and bottom surfaces, but not edges, unless you have some really custom built equipment, which would probably not be cost effective.

Seriously, how are you laminating them presently ??

bagdaddys

Your site says these things are custom built and hand-painted. I highly doubt laminating them would be considered custom over hand laminating them by spraying or hand-painting them.... let alone as good.

Most machines I know of will do top and bottom surfaces, but not edges, unless you have some really custom built equipment, which would probably not be cost effective.

Seriously, how are you laminating them presently ??

Yes, everything as it stands now is hand built, painted and finished by brush or sprayer. Im not laminating them. I currently use a waterbased poly clear coat as the protective layer. Its sprayed on.

My questions here result from a need to develop the "production" side of my business, as I am starting to get requests from retail outfits to carry my product. The curiosity of actual lamination comes about in conjuction with other means of applying the logos in lieu of how they are applied now. With the way things are now there is no way I can meet the required production. I will always do my custom work as that is what I love, but I am confident that I can produce a production ready product with a simialr visual appeal.....Just trying to expand my knowledge so I can make the best educated decision on my next move.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds more like a flatbed with a varnish nozzle set up. Just get a matching liquid and roll the edges, if ya don't want to spray them. Hire some kid for a couple of bucks and show him how to coat out edges without messing them up. He could get literally 100's done a day, if you have the space.