• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Roller Cleaners?

player

What is the recommended way to clean rubber rollers without damaging them, drying them out or shortening their life?

Also is there anything to rub on them to keep them from aging? I remember years ago there was a rubber conditioner for laser printer wheels and rubber parts. I was wondering about using Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber Conditioner?

Jester

Slow is Fast
Things I've read in various places:
  • Run uncoated heavy paper through the laminator. The adhesive will stick to the paper. (this is the concept: https://www.fellowes.com/us/en/products/product-details.aspx?prod=US-5320603)
  • To remove the adhesive from the roller, close the rollers and heat the glue without a document threaded through the laminator. Then, use mineral spirits and a clean cloth to remove the adhesive from the top roller, and repeat the process for the bottom roller.
  • Don't use alcohol, it will dry out the rubber on the rollers.
  • Use 50% alcohol to clean the rollers.
As you can see, not everyone agrees! I think it will depend on if the rollers are natural rubber (latex) or synthetic (silicone, urethane, etc). I'd be very interested to hear other input, especially if they can quote an authoritative source.

player

We use a ScotchBrite lint roller. It's like a reverse-wound application tape. Put the laminator into highest speed and press the lint roller against the laminator roller. It cleans them up really well for us.
What a great idea!

Never run the rollers with your hand close to the rollers. About 15 years ago I was cleaning the rollers on my Seal laminator with a cloth and some type of cleaner. Something went wrong and the tip of one finger touched the roller. In an instant my hand and arm went through the rollers. It broke bones and did a lot of damage to my forearm. It hurt a ton. I eventually healed, but if I look at my arm I can see where the laminator stopped. I know I was stupid. I should have done it differently. But the moral of the story is never EVER run the laminator with your hands near it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Ouch, that is absolutely terrible. Only thing I could advise would be to do this from behind the laminator (where the rollers are spinning 'outward') or put the laminator into reverse mode so there's a much lower chance of this happening to anyone else.

ikarasu

Ouch, that is absolutely terrible. Only thing I could advise would be to do this from behind the laminator (where the rollers are spinning 'outward') or put the laminator into reverse mode so there's a much lower chance of this happening to anyone else.

Most laminators (If not all) have an eye to prevent peoples fingers from going into the front. I dont know of any that have one in the back... I know at least on our seal theres a gap between the roller and the metal that a finger could slip into. I'd say working from the back is worst! Small fingers, clothes, jewelry... anything gets caught and your in for it.

The machines seem pretty safe, but I'm sure every shop has a story. One guy is missing half his thumb because it got caught on our application (Like a laminator, but for sheeting traffic signs). This was 10 years ago... so maybe with modern medicine they could have saved his finger. all I know is everytime I see his hand and half a thumb, it reminds me not to get too comfortable around our laminator.

player

Make something with a stick that will hold your lint roller, and keep your hands 2 feet away from the rollers. It's when you're complacent and thinking about the next step that the small mistake with big consequences happens.

Maybe a modified doggie pickup scooper?

MSwaQ_AFe0lSLiRI66uka8bzpah91EoWSnVgGagLZDdW1zjJna5H58Eta1EtjMBXIPYvIzqsmIkfeOfnhfY7MzD1ekjjRbHWtwbKK2FmGYRx0cQhrM0yyZg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's called "RESPECT". When you treat a piece of machinery like it's human, it does not have a mind of its own and will continue to do its job, regardless of what you need. Accidents happen, but like you said, because you forgot to pay attention to what you're doing. When you in a bucket, or using large saws, the laws get harder.

netsol

Never run the rollers with your hand close to the rollers. About 15 years ago I was cleaning the rollers on my Seal laminator with a cloth and some type of cleaner. Something went wrong and the tip of one finger touched the roller. In an instant my hand and arm went through the rollers. It broke bones and did a lot of damage to my forearm. It hurt a ton. I eventually healed, but if I look at my arm I can see where the laminator stopped. I know I was stupid. I should have done it differently. But the moral of the story is never EVER run the laminator with your hands near it.

player
40 or 50 yrs ago, right after high school, i worket for a convenience store chain, tht hd a large factory. i was in charge of a production crew, some manufacturing etc. lots of packaging equipment pre-osha. i was the only one, including the owner of the chain who left with 10 fingers. (a few times i got a hand caught in a chain or a stitching machine...)

it only takes a second. i feel good for those of you who have never had to take someone
to a hospital with. a finger in a coffee cup full of ice or a cooler

these days a laminator is about the most dangerous thing you will run across, but still, CAREFUL EVERONE

C

ColoPrinthead

When I was in trade school, I happened to see the moment a girl got her hand caught between the impression cylinders of a printing press. I have learned to inspect hands before I go to shake them when I find myself working in shops that have offset presses.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Good old paper towels and water cleans them pretty well. Use iso alcohol now and then too.

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Run it with your foot on the pedal at a low speed. This way if anything happens you just lift your foot and it stops instantly.

I use premask and wrap it around. Let it do a couple rotations then peel it off and it looks brand new.