• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large cut vinyl letter job on tank, biggest application yet.

mnchstr2k

I have a concrete company that wants me to letter one of their tanks with 32" tall letters. Never done anything this big and have no experience quoting a job like this. We came up with a number but I'm curious what an experienced shop would charge. Tank is on the ground, I suspect he has a quote from the vinyl guy who did his truck and is looking for cheap.

Attachments

• TANK.name.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 317

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Get a Sign Shop Price Guide, or figure out what your worth.
Us old timers started out that way.
I know, I know... OK Boomer!
But ya gotta start some where.
Hand paint it like I did!

Reveal1

BTW, based on the pallet size , those letters look much smaller than 32" H. Premium cast vinyl should do the trick.
Sounds like you need a pricing system. That would lead to the answer to your question. We have a pretty detailed price model refined over the years, but roughly:
  1. Order related costs 'X' Dollar (some do %) + sales cost
  2. Cost of materials X+ (at least double) and all other cost of goods consumed in making the job
  3. Install rate X$/hr (clean/layout/apply/cleanup) + travel
  4. Shop rate X$/hr. (artwork& file prep,cut/weed/mask, prep for install) + overhead - see below
Items 2-4 should add up to 50% GM or more. Not markup. GM is % of total sale that is profit. Install and shop rates based on cost of labor, taxes, insurance benefits and all other labor costs and physical plant costs (where your workers work and all the tools and other things they use in performing their jobs but not part of the cost of goods). I think this is where most underestimate and cheapen their value to Y&B's point.

MikePro

pretty straight forward here, would be different if if was in the air and you would have to adjust install time for access via ladders/lift.
vinyl plus install plus travel plus room for error & profit.

mnchstr2k

Get a Sign Shop Price Guide, or figure out what your worth.
Us old timers started out that way.
I know, I know... OK Boomer!
But ya gotta start some where.
Hand paint it like I did!
I had no idea there was a price guide (ordered one), we're actually an office equipment dealer and started a print shop due to access to the equipment.
It's grown a lot over the years but I've never done this size job before and I'm not a pro sign guy not sure I want to go there.
Thanks or the tip on the guide.

mnchstr2k

BTW, based on the pallet size , those letters look much smaller than 32" H. Premium cast vinyl should do the trick.
Sounds like you need a pricing system. That would lead to the answer to your question. We have a pretty detailed price model refined over the years, but roughly:
  1. Order related costs 'X' Dollar (some do %) + sales cost
  2. Cost of materials X+ (at least double) and all other cost of goods consumed in making the job
  3. Install rate X$/hr (clean/layout/apply/cleanup) + travel
  4. Shop rate X$/hr. (artwork& file prep,cut/weed/mask, prep for install) + overhead - see below
Items 2-4 should add up to 50% GM or more. Not markup. GM is % of total sale that is profit. Install and shop rates based on cost of labor, taxes, insurance benefits and all other labor costs and physical plant costs (where your workers work and all the tools and other things they use in performing their jobs but not part of the cost of goods). I think this is where most underestimate and cheapen their value to Y&B's point.
The letters will be 32" high, we just threw a mock up together but the scale was off. We don't do a lot of cut vinyl anymore, easier to print what vinyl signs we do.
Thanks for the pricing info.