• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Opportunity - 4 Color Street Signs - Warranty Required

SISBW

Hi. I am looking for a supplier that can provide .080 engineer grade reflective aluminum sheeting, anodized, chemical conversion coating, printed with 3M 4-color process inks with UV clear. Client suggests product should be warranted for period of 7 years against fading, peeling, or cracking. Please let me know who I might contact to bid this entire project. Over 1,400 signs 18 x 24 to 36 x 30. Thanks for your help!

Thanks,
Chris

fresh

:popcorn:

The only way I could imagine giving someone a 7 year warranty is if I charged them twice as much, because they will likely come in for replacement on most of the signs before the warranty is up.

I also find it hard to warranty something for so long if I'm not installing it.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I know there is a two part coating that one can put over signage. A polyurethane maybe? Someone should chime in with what's it's called and who does it.

Who does the informational graphic signs at the state parks and what not?

Attachments

• state-park.jpg
    state-park.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 117

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With the requirements you have listed. It ain't possible. No way..... no how.

You sound like a broker, but I'll bite my tongue on that one for the moment. How do you come across all these specs, want to order something and have NO idea that it ain't possible ?? Are you that new to the trade ??

I mean what's the difference between anodized and chemical conversion coating ??

Also, I've never seen a street sign, more than the background reflective color with white reflective showing through. Why the need for CMYK ?? Aaaaaand what is 3M 4 color process ??

SISBW

Here are the exact specifications as listed on the bid document:

Size: 18” high x 24” wide
Materials: .080 Engineer Grade, Anodized, Reflective Aluminum Sheeting; .080 Aluminum with
Chemical Conversion Coating Covered with White Engineer Reflective Sheeting; or an
approved equivalent. Specifications for equivalents must be submitted with the bid or
the bid will be rejected. Each sign shall have two standard radius holes for mounting
along with standard rounded corners. Signs should be warranted for 7 years against
fading, peeling, or cracking.
Color: Two-color, reflective paint: Pantone 300 C with black letters and white background, 3M
700 Series reflective ink colors; or an approved equivalent. Printed with 3M 4-Color
Process Inks with UV Clear; or an approved equivalent. Specifications for equivalents
must be submitted with the bid or the bid will be rejected. Border and top left logo shall
be in Pantone 300 C. Bottom logos shall be in black and white.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So you just collectively put them all into the same request ?? You realize the semi-colons mean either or..... not a combination of all.

This is obviously a city request and you're gonna try to get it all in, although it ain't possible.

Good luck in finding reflective paint that's gonna hold up for 7 years, let alone all those other misguided specs.

Someone down at city hall put together a wish list and has no idea of what they're asking. I thought it was you, but you're just repeating the same thing, but taking it even further out of context making less snese then they're original request.

Billct2

Copied those specs and pasted into Google......here's what I got. Similar idiotic language (standard radius holes) They spec something like that but don't tell you want they mount to? In any case these specs at least don't ask for an absurd warranty. And they are screen printed which is at least more durable.

Specifications for Beach Warning Flag Signs

• Sign Size: 30 wide X 36 high
  • Sign Materials: .080 Engineer Grade, Anodized, Reflective Aluminum Sheeting; .080 Aluminum with Chemical Conversion Coating Covered with White Engineer Reflective Sheeting; or Approved Equivalent. Two Standard Radius Holes for Mounting; Standard Rounded Corners.
  • Sign Color: Signs shall have black border and letters and use 3 M 700 series reflective ink colors. The pantone colors for the flag graphic shall be: Green (PMS 348); Yellow (PMS 123); Red (PMS 186); and Purple (PMS 266).

SISBW

Gino,

Are you able to provide any direction or are you just going to critique the request? You clearly have some strong opinions on the matter, and I am appreciative of your taking the time to respond, but let's try to keep this positive.

If the requested specifications are unrealistic, please let me know what is recommended and possibly a company that can handle the request. This may be a wish list from a large governmental body, but it still is an opportunity that I would like to capture.

I don't know what is appropriate for the situation. I will supply as much information as possible if anyone has additional questions or guidance. Thanks again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino,

Are you able to provide any direction or are you just going to critique the request? You clearly have some strong opinions on the matter, and I am appreciative of your taking the time to respond, but let's try to keep this positive.

If the requested specifications are unrealistic, please let me know what is recommended and possibly a company that can handle the request. This may be a wish list from a large governmental body, but it still is an opportunity that I would like to capture.

I don't know what is appropriate for the situation. I will supply as much information as possible if anyone has additional questions or guidance. Thanks again.

Sorry there SIS.........

I thought I already answered your question. This is a bogus request. It can't be filled the way you or they have it. Not efficiently and without being even more evasive then the person setting up the request.

I have no problem helping people to any degree, when they need help, but I'm certainly not gonna do your homework simply because you don't know what you're talking about or requesting.

There are large orders we all want from people and it takes time, investigating and doing one's own diligent homework. I know you came here for help, but 100% being led by the hand is not my idea of help. You are throwing terms around which make no sense, but you think I can figure it out for you. It's simply not worth my time..... or anyone else's. We can give small recommendations and point you in the right direction, but it's YOUR job to go to them and tell them they're asking for the impossible. That would be the time to ask them what they want and what their needs truly are and let you determine what is the industry standard, as the specs do indicate, then make your newly found information known.

Ya see, what they are doing is what so many people, including yourself do...... pass the buck. Throw as much crap at the proverbial fan and see what sticks. Nothing here makes sense when all combined, but certain parts on their own do. They want you to figure it out and put their schedule together for them and then they can price it out properly, but until then, they'll have prices all over the place.

My advice to you would be to contact them, tell them their request is horrendous and would they like for you to put something together so they can bid it our fairly and still suit their needs. You will however charge for this service and it will be paid in advance. Can you perform this little miracle for them..... or would you need to come back here to figure the whole thing out ?? That's the real question. If you don't know..... then I'd venture to say, you're in over your head, so do your brokering on things you know about.

Dzrt1st

To the OP, those specs are typical for bids on traffic signs. Any of the major traffic sign companies (Zumar, Safeway, Newman, Lyle, Interstate, etc) would have no problem bidding on this and some of them are probably already bidding direct to the city.

Not to burst your bubble but realistically on a bid like this there is no room for a middleman (you) to make any money on it.

FWIW,
Todd

fresh

From the specs, it sounds likes its actually a 3 color job: Black, White, and Blue on reflective blanks. I would guess this would be best handled with screen printing, assuming there aren't 1,399 copy changes.

Baz

I remember those specs !!!

Got the same idiotic specifications from a quote request by my city a few years ago. They wanted me to screen print CMYK 3M inks for one freeking sign! I just laughed and sent them my quote but using digitally printed vinyl. Never got the job and never saw the sign they requested produced.

These are engineer specifications that have been copy pasted to forms. Whether they make sense or not to the requested job. It's BS and good luck trying to convince a city employee that you know better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I hafta correct one of my earlier statements.

When I was talking about the 3M 4 color Process inks, I was thinking digitally printed. Turns out there is a screen printing ink for such a use as requested here. We've only ever used Nazdar and Colonial and some low end stuff. Never used... or heard of 3M's ink. It only says it's for outdoor use, but doesn't give a time frame as to how long it will last. I haven't a clue, but most opaque screen printing ink will last 5 to 8 years, so perhaps this part of the equation will work. :thumb:

Mosh

I agree, there is little or no room to be a middleman for street signs. I do our small cities signs, I print them myself and hardly make anything on them. I have to bid against the internet, I bid low cause I make up for it doing other stuff for the City, like Police and Fire truck lettering, and customs signs around the parks and such.