• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

large scanner

PGSigns

One of the things we do with the router is custom engraved windshields for Harleys and I need a way to scan the templates I make. I have been putting a grid on them and doing them a piece at a time with the small scanner and putting them together in Corel and tht is a big pain. I did a search for large format scanners and they cost as much as a printer! Any ideas on places to find a used scanner 24 to 26 inches wide that is not 5K or places to get them done?
Thanks
Jimmy

John L

Maybe digital photo from straight at it (90 degress) and scale on the computer for tracing or autotrace? Put a dollar bill in the shot so you know exactly how to scale it.

Or what router do you have? Maybe probe the actual windshield if it is off the bike.

What you could use is the actual manufacturers cad file. But doubt that is gonna happen.

Sticky Signs

I'd look for a local place that does art reproduction. They usually have large format scanners or they could tell you of the place they use

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The photo is a bit better but no more precise. Photos cannot account for significant curvature or lens distortion. Tracing from a photo is never going to be accurate no matter how clear the shot

I have traced/typeset letters from photos taken from vans. Often the 2 outer edges curve down a bit and due to the distance variance from the center to the outer edges, the letters on the right and left sides can be 8-10% smaller. the larger the object the worse it gets.

Browner

Look up drafting (architectural) places in the yellow pages. When I needed some larger items scanned, they were the only ones that didn't "scoff" at the idea. They charged @ $20 per scan, and put them on a disk for me.

Tony McD

If you take the photo from a distance and zoom in....seems to help reduce the distortion you can get from a close up shot.

rfulford

If you do not need to go wider than 36 or need color you may be able to get away with a architectural scan. These are typically done on either Kip or OCE equipment. These produce 1Bit B&W scans and the pricing is dirt cheap. Otherwise you will have to step up to the color scan. Look for a Reprographics shop such as mine. You can find a comprehensive list at www.repromax.com

PGSigns

The photo deal does not work, even with a zoom. The architect idea sounds good and I will make some calls. I still would like to have one it would be handy for some of the RC boat stuff I do. Thanks for the ideas.
Jimmy

Headhunterx

I have a color 42 inch wide scanner and would do it for you. My scanner is not a flatbed it is tractor feed. What kind of material is your pattern?

Richard

jimbug72

If you have Photoshop CS3

Scan in multiple pieces

File>Automate>Photomerge

Does a pretty bang-up job in my experience of putting pieced scans together on the auto setting. If ya can't find a big scanner.

BadAss

We have large clothing patterns and to get them scanned so we wouldn't have to do it in pieces we took it to Kinkos. They have large scanners at selected stores and can scan and put on a jump drive. M*