• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser level

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Do any of you have those laser levels that draw horizontal lines and vertical lines in a room? Are they useful or really time saving? I seldom have to hang indoor posters, and I usually just mark off measurements on the wall. Are they worth $200-$400?

asd

they do save you time for instance when you have to do 8 of 10 windows, just turn the laser on it will give a straight line across all windows all you have to is align your graphics instead of measuring every window. when you are doing vehicle wraps and have you lines of text in on panel and some in other panels turn on the laser and it will keep your text in a straight line. I don't have a bosh brand laser i forget what it is but they do help alot

jimmmi

Its also useful for wallpapers to start the first vertical so every other panel will be vertical too. Also i use it on some car decals. If there is no straight, parallel or any line to measure on the car, i get a parallel from car's door for example with laser and go up 5" and get a parallel line to start with

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I have a Ryobi from Home Depot....pretty inexpensive actually. You can mount it on a camera tripod and put it in the room or where ever you want to. Also has vacuum suction on the back of it in case you're in a tight spot and cannot use the tripod or a table. Sucks down to a wall or door pretty well. I use at shop and home for jobs. Works great.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I use mine just about every day. If you have any 12v DeWalt stuff, it runs for a ridiculously long time off the 12v batteries.

DW089LG-2.jpg

rjssigns

Good post. I was just looking at this one earlier from Lowes. I'm looking for one you can lock at angles to match body lines when lettering vehicles. This one seems to have decent reviews.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-Visi...veling-Cross-Line-Beam-Laser-Level/1000210615

I didn't know you could lock them at different angles. Would be great when lettering from a dive platform on a boat. Lock it in at whatever angle the platform is at get to work. No measuring and remeasuring then measuring again.

OhioSigns

I use mine just about every day. If you have any 12v DeWalt stuff, it runs for a ridiculously long time off the 12v batteries.

View attachment 146852

Whats the model number on your Dewalt and does it have a locking feature to do angles? Is the light pretty visible, and is it green or red? That Bosch one I was looking at seems to have decent reviews about being bright since its rated for 100' and being green instead of red.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Whats the model number on your Dewalt and does it have a locking feature to do angles? Is the light pretty visible, and is it green or red? That Bosch one I was looking at seems to have decent reviews about being bright since its rated for 100' and being green instead of red.

It's the DW089LG. The LG designation is for Laser Green, LR is for Laser Red. Green is far more visible than red.

It has a locking pendulum for transport. If you want to shoot angles with it, you can, but once it gets past like 5°, it flashes to let you know it's out of level. But yes, you can shoot angles with it.

Steenland

Old Member
I don't know how I installed cut-vinyl lettering without a laser level. If you're working indoors and don't need a very long line, a less expensive one is fine. I use a Tacklife SC-L01 that cost $40 on Amazon. However, there are times that I wish I'd spent more for one with brighter lines.

One unexpected benefit is that it seems to impress the heck out of my clients when they see me using it. Makes me look high-tech I guess.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I went to HD and got the green Dewalt kind, that was the only thing they had in stock.

I don't think it saved me any time, but I was trying to figure it out with the stand and all. It did tell me that the floor was not level but the ceiling was. It also saved my bacon because I measured the length of the back wall and centered it.. but when I looked at the laser it was off center with the lights in the ceiling. Turns out the lights were centered with the "cut out" of the desk which was in between two columns (out of view in the photo) and the wall extended about 6" beyond the right column. GC said center it with the lights which looked better.

And as Steenland said, people who saw me using it were impressed and I think that showing confidence that everything is "laser straight" .. thinking I'm going to use that as my slogan... "Tyler Signs, Laser Straight!"

20200429_093424.jpg

20200429_093452.jpg

20200429_103628 (1).jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You could eyeball it and check it with a tape measure faster than fiddling around with that thing. No offense but I think that stuff makes people look like a tool. It has beat me up and steal my lunch money all over it.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I went to HD and got the green Dewalt kind, that was the only thing they had in stock.

I don't think it saved me any time, but I was trying to figure it out with the stand and all. It did tell me that the floor was not level but the ceiling was. It also saved my bacon because I measured the length of the back wall and centered it.. but when I looked at the laser it was off center with the lights in the ceiling. Turns out the lights were centered with the "cut out" of the desk which was in between two columns (out of view in the photo) and the wall extended about 6" beyond the right column. GC said center it with the lights which looked better.

And as Steenland said, people who saw me using it were impressed and I think that showing confidence that everything is "laser straight" .. thinking I'm going to use that as my slogan... "Tyler Signs, Laser Straight!"

View attachment 146857

View attachment 146858
View attachment 146859
Did Home Depot have any of the shark mounts in stock when you picked it up?

AF

Lasers are great. You can check existing conditions quickly by yourself and align over distances easier than a water level or transit since the line is on the wall.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You could eyeball it and check it with a tape measure faster than fiddling around with that thing. No offense but I think that stuff makes people look like a tool. It has beat me up and steal my lunch money all over it.

Wanna race?

rjssigns

So you are saying you drill holes into a wall and don't cleanup after yourself? That isn't a professional way of doing things.

There are vacuums that attach to the drill motor and a shroud surrounds the bit. It's required especially when drilling brick, concrete etc... Moze knows;)