• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex 360 color consistency is not there

Morkel

I'm not sure that I am able to offer a definitive answer to your question re aim points. With a halftone large-format printer, the RIP is typically in charge of the color production. In that case, the user has access to a host of settings that are handled by the RIP. That is not the case with the HP Latex 300 series, when building on-board media presets. These settings include individual channel ink restrictions, ink splits, linearization measurements, and total area coverage ink values. When using the on-board profile creation, all of this is the responsibility of the printer, and the machine does not share the data with the user, to my knowledge. This has been done to make the process of building the custom preset faster and easier, and there is no question that they have accomplished these goals on the Latex 360 and 370 printers.

No doubt it's great. Well it was for the first 9 months. Since then, any convenience afforded by having that all on-board has been thrown out the door because the calibrations simply aren't doing what they're supposed to. I just don't understand how a new media preset, with its initial calibration, can hit the colours spot on, yet an existing media preset that is in every way identical (except it was created 9 months previous) can't hit the same target. Especially when it always used to!

By the way, these questions are not being thrown at you specifically, I'm more howling at the wind as to how mind-bendingly frustrating it is.

dypinc

No doubt it's great. Well it was for the first 9 months. Since then, any convenience afforded by having that all on-board has been thrown out the door because the calibrations simply aren't doing what they're supposed to. I just don't understand how a new media preset, with its initial calibration, can hit the colours spot on, yet an existing media preset that is in every way identical (except it was created 9 months previous) can't hit the same target. Especially when it always used to!

By the way, these questions are not being thrown at you specifically, I'm more howling at the wind as to how mind-bendingly frustrating it is.

Have you updated the firmware?

The last two firmware updates basically invalidated all previous calibrations and profiles. I have had to recalibrate and reprofile everything since those firmware updates.

dypinc

I'm not sure that I am able to offer a definitive answer to your question re aim points. With a halftone large-format printer, the RIP is typically in charge of the color production. In that case, the user has access to a host of settings that are handled by the RIP. That is not the case with the HP Latex 300 series, when building on-board media presets. These settings include individual channel ink restrictions, ink splits, linearization measurements, and total area coverage ink values. When using the on-board profile creation, all of this is the responsibility of the printer, and the machine does not share the data with the user, to my knowledge. This has been done to make the process of building the custom preset faster and easier, and there is no question that they have accomplished these goals on the Latex 360 and 370 printers.

The calibration data in not shared with the RIP, but the profile is. It is downloaded somewhere when the RIP reads this information from the printer. Thus you can open up this profile with most profile generation software to edit it or more to change black generation such as black start, black in shadows etc. You can then generate a new profile, and use that instead of the printer generated profile.

Morkel

The last two firmware updates basically invalidated all previous calibrations and profiles. I have had to recalibrate and reprofile everything since those firmware updates.

Yeah, the 06_02.10 in late November, followed by 06_02.12 yesterday in the hope it would help. But the fact that it would throw all the calibrations and profiles out in my case is irrelevant. Because even when I re-calibrate and re-profile (through the on-board instruments) it still won't bring it back within range.

FYI I appreciate everyone's help here. I think I've come as far as I can in terms in terms of community help, so I've sent an email to main service guy in our state, who professes to have seen everything and solved most of it. We'll see what he says (when he's back from holiday I guess) and I'll share anything of relevance here.

Morkel

The calibration data in not shared with the RIP, but the profile is. It is downloaded somewhere when the RIP reads this information from the printer. Thus you can open up this profile with most profile generation software to edit it or more to change black generation such as black start, black in shadows etc. You can then generate a new profile, and use that instead of the printer generated profile.

If it was one or two colours that I was trying to hit (and everything else was acceptable) I would possibly go down that road. But in my case it's the whole spectrum that's shifted. And because it seems I can get back to the original colours by building medias from scratch, that is going to be far preferable than manually tweaking certain areas.

dypinc

Yeah, the 06_02.10 in late November, followed by 06_02.12 yesterday in the hope it would help. But the fact that it would throw all the calibrations and profiles out in my case is irrelevant. Because even when I re-calibrate and re-profile (through the on-board instruments) it still won't bring it back within range.

FYI I appreciate everyone's help here. I think I've come as far as I can in terms in terms of community help, so I've sent an email to main service guy in our state, who professes to have seen everything and solved most of it. We'll see what he says (when he's back from holiday I guess) and I'll share anything of relevance here.

Did you try re-calibrating on the printer and then profiling with profiling software instead of the onboard profiler?

In my case re-calibration and then using my own software seems to bring it back. But now that you mention it, I know that re-calibration along was not enough. Just wonder what is going on here, is the printer ignoring the new calibration or new profile when using the onboard instruments?

dypinc

If it was one or two colours that I was trying to hit (and everything else was acceptable) I would possibly go down that road. But in my case it's the whole spectrum that's shifted. And because it seems I can get back to the original colours by building medias from scratch, that is going to be far preferable than manually tweaking certain areas.

I wasn't advocating manually tweaking certain areas, just saying that it could be done in response to a post. I do not like the onboard created profiles so that is why I create my own. Control over the black and more gamut is what I get creating my own profiles.

Yes, this is something that I do as well for specific medias and applications.

Paul

I wasn't advocating manually tweaking certain areas, just saying that it could be done in response to a post. I do not like the onboard created profiles so that is why I create my own. Control over the black and more gamut is what I get creating my own profiles.

+ 1 (for the most part). The on-board ICC profiles are not necessarily inferior, but the settings inside of the on-board ICC are hard coded and don't allow for user input. These include everything from the naming convention used, to the black start point and black generation strategy (GCR/ UCR).

I don't recall the specific date that the .10 update was released, but it was in the 3rd quarter of 2015. That time frame does appear to be roughly consistent with the onset of the issues that Morkel has been reporting...

dypinc

I don't recall the specific date that the .10 update was released, but it was in the 3rd quarter of 2015. That time frame does appear to be roughly consistent with the onset of the issues that Morkel has been reporting...

I know that after the firmware updates just re-calibration did not bring it back, but now we have this thread where it seems the using the printer to re-calibrate or I'll say re-profile with the printer seems to not update the calibration or the profile or both. If the OP only used the printer to create a new profile and saw no changes then it would appear the profile was also not overwritten if he saw no changes.

If it is the calibration that is not being updated that is a very SERIOUS FLAW as changes to the same media, or hardware (new printheads) can not be compensated for with a re-calbration.

Has anyone really tested this since the new firmware has been installed?

On second thought it could be that his RIP was not updating to the new profile, in other-wards the RIP seeing the same name media and profile on the printer would have no way of knowing the the profile was updated and would not download and update the profile on the RIP with the new profile on the printer.

Morkel

I know that after the firmware updates just re-calibration did not bring it back, but now we have this thread where it seems the using the printer to re-calibrate or I'll say re-profile with the printer seems to not update the calibration or the profile or both. If the OP only used the printer to create a new profile and saw no changes then it would appear the profile was also not overwritten if he saw no changes.

If it is the calibration that is not being updated that is a very SERIOUS FLAW as changes to the same media, or hardware (new printheads) can not be compensated for with a re-calbration.

Has anyone really tested this since the new firmware has been installed?

On second thought it could be that his RIP was not updating to the new profile, in other-wards the RIP seeing the same name media and profile on the printer would have no way of knowing the the profile was updated and would not download and update the profile on the RIP with the new profile on the printer.

Technically I'm not the OP, I just jumped in when I saw that someone else was having problems :)

As to what I've marked in red, you could well be on to something. One of the steps I took earlier was that I reset the colour calibration back to factory. I then did a new calibration. As you'll see on the photo I posted earlier, there was a noticeable difference when I reset it to factory (top one is how it was printing on my return from holidays, the middle one is after factory reset). But when I did a new calibration (bottom one) there were basically no changes. The printer had the pop-up saying "calibration successful", but if it's a glitch it's irrelevant (it may be successful, but it doesn't save/overwrite):

GreyscaleTests_NOTES.jpg

As you can see it's the same for both the mono & poly.

For the text in blue, I definitely saw the "*** Retrieving info from printer" or whatever it says after re-profiling, so it at least attempted to load the now profile.

I am not clear on what the Reset to Factory is supposed to accomplish (Home > Settings > Image Quality Maintenance > Color Calibration > Reset to factory)? It does not sound like the same thing as performing the Color Calibration / linearization, as they are different menu items.

I will try to get additional information from HP on this, but I have never had the requirement to use it to this point.

dypinc

If I get time over the weekend I may just test this.

Load recently (since last firmware update) calibrated and profiled vinyl, and print a test file. Then load a obviously different vinyl (much bluer white point) and re-calibrate, then load the first vinyl back in and see if I see a difference.

Anybody have any different ideas on testing to see if a recalibration is overwriting the existing calibration.

Morkel

I am not clear on what the Reset to Factory is supposed to accomplish (Home > Settings > Image Quality Maintenance > Color Calibration > Reset to factory)? It does not sound like the same thing as performing the Color Calibration / linearization, as they are different menu items.

I will try to get additional information from HP on this, but I have never had the requirement to use it to this point.

I assumed it cleared out any calibration and set the ink levels back to what they were in the "Generic SAV" preset. Effectively starting from scratch, which is why I did it. All the more confusing that clearing it out & doing a new calibration / ICC did nothing, yet creating a brand new media was perfect. Unless of course the firmware update also loaded in new specs for the Generic media presets...

If I get time over the weekend I may just test this.

Load recently (since last firmware update) calibrated and profiled vinyl, and print a test file. Then load a obviously different vinyl (much bluer white point) and re-calibrate, then load the first vinyl back in and see if I see a difference.

Anybody have any different ideas on testing to see if a recalibration is overwriting the existing calibration.

Great idea, let me know how you go. I will do the same, see if we both get the same result.

Morkel

Well the mystery deepens. It appears as if the calibrations are doing something, just not what's expected.

Once again, printed the first test strip with 2015's profile. Then did new calibration & new ICC profile to see if it did anything. It did, but if anything the calibration it took it more to the purple. The ICC then took it about half way back to how it was. Stupid.

Then for the test to see if doing a calibration on a different media, then printing on the first one, would show a difference. For this, instead of using two medias with slightly different white points, I decided to print some dummy areas of cream (to force the colours to compensate and print more blue), and then on a light blue (to force a dramatic shift back the other direction). The results are not what I expected.

As you can see, the colour blocks aren't subtle:

attachment.php

And here are the results. Printed top to bottom:

attachment.php

As you can see there's bugger-all difference. If anything a slight shift in the opposite direction to what you'd expect. My conclusions are:

* Maybe before it starts printing, the head does a quick scan of the white-point of the media. It then processes it in comparison to the white-point of the previous calibration and compensates (which might explain why it actually went in the opposite direction than expected, as the white points are dramatically different). Would it me able to process that in the 10-15 seconds it takes before it starts printing? Or does it process on-the-fly?

* The spectrometer is malfunctioning and only working sporadically. And the only reason the colours were core correct when I made a brand new media preset was either blind luck that the spec worked on that occasion, or maybe the default values are just spot on for that media.

* Reality is crumbling.

Attachments

• False Colour Blocks.JPG
    False Colour Blocks.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 589
  • False Colour Tests.JPG
    False Colour Tests.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 579

Correct Color

For what it's worth, I'll share some of my experiences with these machines, and a few tentative conclusions I've reached along the way.

My first experience and the first overall impression I had of these machines is that I hate the entire idea of them taking all inking control away from the RIP and contoning them in the machine. The built in ink splits are terrible, and guarantee a grainier print than can be obtained by a properly profiled 25500/26500/260.

My second observation is that the onboard-made ICC profiles are, at best, adequate but uninspiring. They'll work for a lot of midrange work, but for anyone serious about color, they have serious black generation issues, and their perceptual rendering intent has some serious clipping issues.

And of course that's all before any color inconsistency issues.

As far as the color inconsistency goes, here's the path I've been down:

When I first saw these machines and profiled them, it was at a shop that had several, and was running Flexi-Signs.

Pretty well-known place, and they had had 26500's for years, and ran them with no issues.

First time I profiled the 360's, I did the onboard calibration, then I ran a linearization in the RIP as well, then I made the ICC profiles with a 3rd party engine and imported them in.

There were initially three machines, and because each one was a tiny bit different, and because these guys want to print across all three machines for individual projects, I profiled each one individually.

And it worked. All printed correctly, and all matched exactly. Visual test, by the way; I have a test image that has several neutral and near neutral images on it. My test is always to print it on two machines, then cut across one and overlay it on another. If there are any inconsistencies, you'll see them. Over the years I've found this to honestly be a much better indicator then measuring Delta E.

However, as soon as they did any maintenance, the machines no longer matched.

I re-profiled them, and didn't hear anymore from this particular client for awhile.

However, I have other clients with the machines, running them with other RIPs, and over time, what I came to conclude was that these machines are always applying a canned linearization, whether you ask them to or not.

And what I concluded happens is that when you do the "calibration" routine as part of media creation, the machine makes a "calibration/linearization" file that it uses until any situation happens that causes it to dump it. When it does, the front panel message changes to "obsolete", the machine reverts to its default "calibration" and of course neutrals in particular go right out the window.

Then of course you can do a "recalibration", however what you're using is a seven patch-per-color target, and an on-board spectro. Not a really robust way to do a linearization, and my experience has been that every time I do that, I'll get a different result. Probably acceptable if you aren't completely color critical; most definitely not acceptable if you are.

However in fairness I will point out that I've heard and seen that other people have gotten better results.

I have another client in Minnesota with one of these things and I was actually boarding a plane to go see him when I got a call from a guy at HP who told me that the reason for the issues my other client was having had to do with the RIP they were using. And the issue is that the 360 does not RIP in the RIP, it RIPs in the printer.

I told him I thought that was absurd, but he insisted. He also told me that the only RIP manufacturer who had figured this out and was capable of dealing with it was Caldera, and HP had a team going out to my first client's to install Caldera and resolve the issue.

That was just before the holidays, and as of yet, I don't know the resolution there.

However, I spent two days in Minnesota working with a 360, in this case driven by Onyx, and what I can say is that we did a series of tests, and they all corroborated my theory. We made profiles using the onboard linearization, then an Onyx linearization and then a 3rd party profile, and they printed perfectly.

We pulled and re-installed a printhead, the display went to "obsolete", then we reprinted the same image, and the color had changed.

We "re-calibrated" and they changed again, but not to where they had been before.

Then we made a media with no internal calibration, did an Onyx linearization and a 3rd part profile. Print was accurate and exactly the same as our first print. Then we again pulled and re-installed a printhead, again reran the image, and it did not change at all.

Both myself and the client were sure we had it. Unfortunately, this machine is still not stable. It has continued to wander around.

I'm working with the client remotely on a series of tests, but as of yet, I don't have anything entirely conclusive.

Also of note here and kind of "off the record" but I talked afterwards to a friend at Onyx, who told me that at HP, there are something akin to two armed camps: The Onyx Camp, and the Caldera Camp. And the Onyx camp is convinced Caldera is the Devil, and vice versa.

Which is kind of funny... unless you have one of these machines and you'd like to get this issue resolved.

dypinc

I do know that when I was demo/testing Caldera that it capable of sending a profile to the printer. Don't know if any other RIPs can do that or not. Onxy certainly couldn't.

As for Ripping in the Printer. I can't believe that. But, obviously the printer is doing something to the file with it's internal calibration. Makes me think that maybe I should not be using the printers calibration and leave it set at factory default.

I sure wish HP would just put out new firmware that gave use the option to turn off their contone/color management junk.

Correct Color

I sure wish HP would just put out new firmware that gave use the option to turn off their contone/color management junk.

Would that it were possible. However, I'm told by some who should be in the know that it is not.

Meaning that even if they wanted to, they can't. It would take a whole new version of the machine.

Hence my advice to all clients not to buy the thing.

Of course in this case, I would love to be proven wrong.

dypinc

Would that it were possible. However, I'm told by some who should be in the know that it is not.

Meaning that even if they wanted to, they can't. It would take a whole new version of the machine.

Hence my advice to all clients not to buy the thing.

Of course in this case, I would love to be proven wrong.

I don't see why they can't. For example in the Fiery XF RIP both options are available in HP's aqueous printers.