• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laws regarding graphics on front window of a commercial vehicle?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We are doing a wrap on a mobile mammography lab bus. (it's like a converted RV)
The customer is requesting that we put perf on the front windows from the top edge down about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the windows. They also want us to find out how far down is legal. (if it is even legal at all)
What they're asking for is to cover the area in the attached photo down to around the tint line. (this is not the bus, just one with the same front windows)

Who do we ask about the legality of this? Any ideas?

Attachments

• junk rv.jpg
    junk rv.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 118

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this goes for any other state, but we were told as long as you stay above the wipers you were generally alright. With that big of a windshield, other than seeing in-coming aircraft, what would it really matter ??

City transit vehicles have scrolls up there, coaches have a sign up there, so while I don't have a legitimate answer, pose the question to your local State Police. That's were the codes are written up for that kinda stuff.

LCS

If the decal laws are anything like the tint laws on windshields we were always told that you must stay above the "A1" line on the windshield which on a regular car or truck, is about 6" from the top on the left or right side of the windshield glass.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Here you need to keep tint and/or graphics above the AS1 line on the windshield. My understanding the AS1 line on a windshield is "American Standards, level 1 light transmission (1 is 100% VLT)". You might see AS2 or higher on other windows with factory tint.

Tim4

Seriously, You can't make this stuff up.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.205

S5.3 Shade Bands. Shade band areas for windshields shall comply with the requirements of either S5.3.1 or S5.3.2.
S5.3.1 Shade bands for windshields shall comply with SAE Recommended Practice J100 (1995) (incorporated by reference, see §571.5).S5.3.2 Except as provided in S5.3.2.1, the lower boundary of shade bands for windshields shall be a plane inclined upwards from the X axis of the vehicle at 7 degrees, passing through point V1, and parallel to the Y axis. The coordinate system and point V1shall be as specified in Annexes 18 and 19 of European Commission for Europe (ECE) Regulation No. 43 Revision 2—Amendment 1.S5.3.2.1 In the area 300 mm wide centered on the intersection of the windshield surface and longitudinal vertical median plane of the vehicle, the lower boundary of shade bands for windshields shall be a plane inclined upwards from the X axis of the vehicle at 3 degrees, passing through point V1, and parallel to the Y axis

jfiscus

Rap Master
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.205

S5.3 Shade Bands. Shade band areas for windshields shall comply with the requirements of either S5.3.1 or S5.3.2.
S5.3.1 Shade bands for windshields shall comply with SAE Recommended Practice J100 (1995) (incorporated by reference, see §571.5).S5.3.2 Except as provided in S5.3.2.1, the lower boundary of shade bands for windshields shall be a plane inclined upwards from the X axis of the vehicle at 7 degrees, passing through point V1, and parallel to the Y axis. The coordinate system and point V1shall be as specified in Annexes 18 and 19 of European Commission for Europe (ECE) Regulation No. 43 Revision 2—Amendment 1.S5.3.2.1 In the area 300 mm wide centered on the intersection of the windshield surface and longitudinal vertical median plane of the vehicle, the lower boundary of shade bands for windshields shall be a plane inclined upwards from the X axis of the vehicle at 3 degrees, passing through point V1, and parallel to the Y axis

My head asplode.