• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Leather Reinforced Corners?

jiarby

Anyone out there do this to reinforce banner corners?

Attachments

• grommiecorners.jpg
    grommiecorners.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 93

jiarby

I do a bunch of leather work with our laser for a local rodeo guy. We have loads of scrap pieces so the leather didn't cost me anything.

It cuts easy with a stanley knife & a straight edge, so I made a jig to cut them out so they dont stink up the place like lasering them does.

I upcharged $12.50/corner for them. I have a local Tandy Leather store, so I can buy whole sides if I need to.

I agree that it is overkill, but some customers seem to like the option.

Attachments

• leathercorners.jpg
    leathercorners.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 66

jiarby

The Juki chews through it like buddah... and the Hiker™ Grommet Press goes right through. EZ Money, if you have the stuff, and access to free leather scraps!

phototec

Why not just use the same banner material folded over to make a gusset triangle and sew it on the corner just like the leather scrap?

You could even roll the material over a few times making it 2 or 3 layers thick if you wanted. The raw leather is not water proof, so I think a gusset made from the same material as the banner would hold up better for out door banners and being the same color as the banner, would look better.

:help

Attachments

• GussetCorner.jpg
    GussetCorner.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 66

jiarby

Same thing.. but the leather is thicker and tougher. We were looking for something beefier than the regular scrim gusset.
Here in AZ the rain is not that big of a deal, and the ones we have done hold up well.

The ones we do now we tuck UNDER the hem instead of ontop like in the picture... this helps seal two of the edges from being exposed.

We have gussetted (sp?) with scrim before as well...even sintra once!