• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED replacement for flourescent lamps

Spike

Hi - refurbishing some large flexface illuminated sign boxes with LED upgrade & new faces - they were previously lit by 72" flourescent lamps on 12' centres - concerned about shadowing on the face from the support arms (see pic) for the removable flex face frame if we simply mount LED modules to the back of the sign cabinets

Options A - would be to replace the existing 72" flourescent tubes with LED tubes (I've seen them at shows etc) but no idea who makes/sells them

Option B - would be to mount aluminum composite on the back of the support arms and mount LED modules there

Anyways if anyone has any ideas for recommended components or any sort of tips & tricks that would be appreciated

Thanks!
Sheldon

Attachments

• whitby flexface 1-21.JPG
    whitby flexface 1-21.JPG
    609.4 KB · Views: 254

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Grimco Handley LED's & Power Supplys or another brand might work good too. We use the Handley PF-3120W LED's and Handley Power Supplys. You can mount them just about anyway you want. On a single sided sign we mount them to the backside of the cabinet.
On Double sided signs we make our own simple metal strips and mount them in the center of the cabinet and stick the LED's to both sides of the strips then add a drop of silicone to each LED connecting
it to the metal strip in case the VHB tape on the back of the LED's fail. And also important is not overloading the power supplys with too many LED's on each power supply.
And we mount the Power supplys to the sides inside the cabinet instead of the bottom of the cabinet to keep as much moisture away from the power supplys as possible.

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
Do you guys wire these LED sticks up yourselves or do you need a licensed electrician? Looking into the GE Tetra sticks and the Allanson Speedlamps

Inks

Do you guys wire these LED sticks up yourselves or do you need a licensed electrician? Looking into the GE Tetra sticks and the Allanson Speedlamps
Call your local EM Plastic or ND Graphics location for GE. ND also sells Allanson.
I use to sell them when I worked for EM. If you are retrofitting from lamps you should be able use the sockets and wire in the power supplies after you remove the lamps and ballasts.

CarolWilks

Dude, I know what you mean. But don't be so categorical about everything. There are many safe points in electrics. I overcame my fear of electricity. It started with the fact that because of the detached phase wire, the plugs burned out. I was very scared, but then I thought about it and realized that if you follow all the security measures, there is nothing wrong with that. I called an electrician and he fixed it. But when I decided to order a lamp with https://www.amazon.com/Night-Light-Plug-Smart-Sensor/dp/B07NF4P12L and I was able to connect them myself and everything turned out well. I was not afraid of electricity, but I was able to comply with all the safety rules and everything worked out.