• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lets talk heat press(s)

SpazSigns

Looking to purchase one off of e bay and not really sure what to look for..some look fairly cheap but will they only do nylon shirts? not looking to do alot of business with the press, just really wanting to learn and get familar with one.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks again :signs101:

Charlie J

Get a Stahl's. I got mine on ebay about 3 hours away. I made a day trip and went and picked it up. Nice piece of equipment. Mine's a clam but if I were you i'd look at swingers. Easier to work with.

S

Sign-Man Signs

We have Geo Knight Clam, with timer and heat control. 15 x 15 anything larger is a waste. Stay away from the seprate timer unless you really want to work.

Poconopete

Hix, Mighty, Hotronix, Pheonix, George Knight are all good presses (some are rebranded). 16" x 20" does come in handy for the large designs. Stay away from the cheap e bay presses.

Mike_Koval

As a distributor of heat presses, i can tell you there are many different factors into which heat press is right for you.

Style: Clam, Swinger, Draw.

Clam - named that because it opens like a clam. takes up the least amount of space.

Swinger - Requires alot of space to accommodate the swing away upper platten. Heat free work space, however is nice.

Draw - Not a very common style, but lower platen pulls out like a drawer. Heat free workspace as well.

I prefer a clam shell, unless i am doing odd shaped items that need to be threaded on the platen.

Size: I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 15x15. Anything smaller may require multiple presses for one design, such as a name and number combo.

Features: non-digital, digital, auto open, manual operation, air operated.
this is all user preference, but i would suggest digital along with auto open.

Price: everyones pockets have different amounts of cash, so you know your budget best. Like moist types of equipment, you get what you pay for.

I personally would recommend a digital, auto open clam shell, 16x16 0r 16x20. Phoenix or Hotronix.

GB2

Old Member
Mike, that is a nice consise list of important details. On your recommendations however, can you please let us know which brands you distribute and therefore we will know which brands you are evaluating for comparison. Thanks!

ChiknNutz

Mike, yes thanks for that reply. We are also in the market for a heat press and associated collateral, so this is excellent timing.

zmatalucci

I just bought the 16-20 phoenix fire from mike. I will chime in with a review once I get it!
The reason I bought the 16-20, is that I could make small flags and stuff.

hammered

DO NOT buy an no name press. This one of the few areas I say "dont try something unknown name wise" The reason being is these things generate an ass load of heat (yes assload is a tech term) Heating elements can start fires, blow breaker and burn your machine and materials up. I own a 16x20 MityPress and I have to tell ya, its been worth every penny I paid. If I had enough business for a Phire, Id be all over it. Mine is a clamshell style and seems to be the most common. It doesnt take too much power to open or close if set correct.

Air Art Girl

I agree, do not buy a no name brand on cheapbay. I have a Geo. knight DK20 swing, Hix Clam/swing 16x20 and a 16x20 Phoenix Fire clam from Imprintables. We use the Phoenix Fire the most.

I can tell you that we have replaced some parts on the Geo. Knight and it was easy and very available which I am sure the parts for the Phoenix will be as well. With a name brand mfgr, you can keep these things running forever.

My biggest complaint about the Phoenix clam shell vs. the Geo Knight DK20 is that I have burned myself several times on the top platen when putting sweatshirts into the press. I don't think I have ever burnt myself on the DK20 swing away but it does not have the automatic open feature like the Phoenix Fire which is great.

JPDTees

Vote another Phoenix Phire from Imprintables!

Whatever you get, make sure it is a brand name and has auto-open!

Eric :cool:

ShawnLVESP

I'm using a 15x15 Mighty Press. I've had it for about 5 years or so. I like it. It's my first press. I would love to get a digital heat temp, digital timer and an auto-open. I just looked at a pheonix 16x20 and i think that will be my next one. It even has a pressure readout :) !!!!!

rcook99

I have had my INSTA 228 digital swinger for about 3 years and absolutely LOVE it. Yes it does need a little more room but as AAG said with her swinger NO BURNS. As for the pressure gauge, not a necessity as you use it more you will get an idea of what settings you need for different transfers. It is just something else to break along with the auto release. I know I don't leave my press when using it as most of what I do needs to be peeled as soon as the timer is up.

Just a piece of advice for any newbies, when using thermoflex plus I have found that you are better off peeling it HOT vs cold. You will find that it peels much much easier.

rcook99

What colors have you had problems with Curtrnev? I have used all of there regular colors including Antique silver and gold with no problems. It would be good to know for future projects but I found this on Specialty Materials Site also.

► Heat press between 345° F - 350° F for 20 seconds using firm even pressure.

► If ThermoFlex® Plus only partially adheres to the fabric it is usually because insufficient or uneven pressure was applied. If this happens, reposition the design, increase the pressure and repress.

Peel warm or cold. It is much easier to peel while still warm but for consistent results allow at least 10 seconds of cooling time before peeling. For greater durability, cover with a Teflon sheet and repress for 10 seconds