• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Letters mounted on top of canopy

imajenn

These are 1" thick aluminum letters with bottom metal plate mount. Customer doesn't want any visible mounting brackets and suggest to tack weld the metal plate onto the awning. How would you go about mounting the letters to the bottom plate? I want to be sure the wind won't knock these off. Thank you!

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

2B

if they are already on a plate,
use the suggestions from Billct2

Assuming they are elevated above the plate or the plate is being mounted to the awning edge.
otherwise, the visibility / readability will be hindered as people lookup

Moze

Precision Sign Services
How would you go about mounting the letters to the bottom plate?

If the mounting plate is going to be welded down, my concern would be if anything ever was damaged and needed to be replaced. The 'normal' method of mounting the letters would be to drill through the mounting plate, countersink the holes on the bottom of the plate and basically bolt the letters from the bottom. But again, if welding the mounting plate down, that would make future repairs/replacements difficult. So in that case I would basically stud mount them to the mounting plate. Drill and tap the letters, drill and tap the mounting plate, insert studs and screw down until tight. There are other little things you can do like leaving an inch or so of the studs visible between the letters and the mounting plate and have nuts that can be tightened against the letters and the mounting plate. This would avoid any issues with the letters tightening before they're in their finished position.

visual800

Mount letters to plate and secure plate to awning with countersunk screw and silicone, if they do not want that walk away, plate will not be seen

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 622