• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Letters Not cutting Cleanly on CE5000-60

black cloud

Hi All,
I recently bought a Graphtec CE 5000-60 from a guy who used it briefly to cut architectural vinyl (8mill and heaver). I replaced the blade and did a hard reset to get all the cutters parameters to factory default. I've been trying to cut some Oracal intermediate sign vinyl with the new 45deg (U09) blade and though the cuts are clean they aren't good. contours for letters are bad and even the triangle in square test cut pattern is poorly cut (see attached image) I've tried slowing down the cut speed and the acceleration with no improvement. I'm cutting with the cut pressure at about 13. I remember some discussion somewhere where someone mentioned that there was an adjustment for the carriage on the guide rail but I wasn't paying too close attention and don't recall where or what that was. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this machine cutting better? The CX-24 it replaces never failed to cut perfectly for the 8 years I had it till the parallel interface car went poof, and I know the graphtec can cut at least as well if not better.

Thanks

Attachments

• Cir1.jpg
    Cir1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 528
  • testcut1.jpg
    testcut1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 434
Try adjusting the offset. Since the prior owner was cutting thick media, chances are he used a different angled blade than for cutting thin vinyl so the offset setting is probably set for that. Generally you have to play around and do test cuts after each adjustment but once you dial it in you're good to go.
Also check the cutting strip. If it's in poor condition it can cause poor quality. Those are two easy steps to start with.
Hope it helps.

round man

looks to me like you need to adjust the offset and make sure the blade holder is tight inserted properly

black cloud

Thanks guys.
I checked the cutting strip and it seems smooth with no scratches or gouges. The blade is definitely secure and adjusted correctly. I even put a drop of oil on it where it pivots on the holder and it is pivoting very smoothly. I adjusted the offset all the way down to -4 and then back up to -3 where it seemed best. The offset helped a bit but the problem is still there. Where I notice the problem (Although this could actually be a separate problem) is that it seems that some lines don't meet when cut and so when weeding I get a small hanger on that tries to pull the letter or graphic up. Very annoying, I got through the job I had to do for tonight and now I'm going home, any additional things I should try in the morning? Is there an adjustment for the carriage on the rail?

black cloud

It looks like you have "pen" chosen instead of one of the knife options. Or, like they said, your offset is way off.

I'm using the 1st condition to cut Oracal intermediate vinyl, I have the blade set to 09, offset to -3 (tried from +4 to -4), cut pressure is at 14, accel is set to 1 and speed is set to 30. I have the blue pen holder with a brand new 09 blade and new spring. I've been through everything I can find online and I am officially vexed. I have a call in to Graphtec and will see what they say.

FWIW the machine is usable it's just that it isn't 100% (96%?) and the issue with the lines not connecting is the one I really need to solve so I don't ruin anymore cut pieces by pulling up the graphic when weeding.

laserfred

I have the same cutter as you. I think Round man is right. Make sure the tool setting is set for blade and not pen. If it thinks it's a pen, the cutter will ignore any offset setting. Also, as you probably know, the parameters can be driven from the software of from the cutter, so make sure you are using the right one. I recommand switching to Cutting Master 3 if not already done, way better thant CM2.

Bill Modzel

On another note, I have had bad blade holders also. I actually purchased one of the old Graphtec holders with the brass tip like my original one from 1988.
Spend allot of time with tech support until I bought the brass one. Once I returned the plastic one and they tested it they did credit me with the difference in cost as it was still under warrantee but that was a long time ago too.

black cloud

Thanks again guys,
I've checked and it's definitely not set to pen. I have ordered a new CC blade (the new ones I bought were from unknown manufacturer. they may be fine but I need to eliminate all variables here) I've also ordered a new blade holder and cutting strip. For the cost of these things it's relatively inexpensive way to make sure the machine is as good as possible.

P.S.
I'm cutting from Illustrator CS5 using Cut Master3

7oaks

graphtec

Good luck with Graphtec giving you a solution. They ignored my problem completely and referred me to their repair list site.

Ken

Jackpine

try these settings

I have a CE3000Mk2 and the settings I have used for years are...
cond 1
tool 09u
offset 0
speed 25
quality 2

Of course the conditions is so you can preset different perimeters for different media.
Force is adjusted to the thickness of the material.

Jackpine

Thanks again guys,
I've checked and it's definitely not set to pen. I have ordered a new CC blade (the new ones I bought were from unknown manufacturer. they may be fine but I need to eliminate all variables here) I've also ordered a new blade holder and cutting strip. For the cost of these things it's relatively inexpensive way to make sure the machine is as good as possible.

P.S.
I'm cutting from Illustrator CS5 using Cut Master3

CleanCut blades are worth buying. I believe they are the best.

black cloud

Update:
I cot a Clean Cut Blade and I was surprised at how much it helped. They recommended reducing the cutting force (I was at 14 cutting Oracal Intermediate vinyl), now cutting at 12 worked fine. The lines are much straighter and cleaner and I don't have as many Klingons, but it still isn't as good as I think it should be with some corners that are not clean and a bit of waviness in lines that are compound cuts (cuts where both the carriage and rollers are moving). I am getting a new blade holder too but I still think there is some adjustment in the carriage that needs to be done.

Jackpine

Update:
I cot a Clean Cut Blade and I was surprised at how much it helped. They recommended reducing the cutting force (I was at 14 cutting Oracal Intermediate vinyl), now cutting at 12 worked fine. The lines are much straighter and cleaner and I don't have as many Klingons, but it still isn't as good as I think it should be with some corners that are not clean and a bit of waviness in lines that are compound cuts (cuts where both the carriage and rollers are moving). I am getting a new blade holder too but I still think there is some adjustment in the carriage that needs to be done.

I am to believe you have the spring in the blade holder?

black cloud

Update #2:
I was suspicious of the tracking of the carriage on its rail in that I though it seemed loose (see the question of adjusting the carriage in my previous posts). The guy I bought this from cut some very thick stuff and I know he had the cutting force turned way up. I have some panels that I need to cut and the accuracy of the shapes is critical so I took the covers off so I could get to the rollers on the carriage. I loosened the mounting screws and with a little pre-load (down force provided by my left index finger) tightened them up again. Most of the slop in the carriage is now gone and the machine is cutting beautifully! perfect lines and contours and no Klingons. I've returned the offset to 0 and it cuts the way I've expected it to even with the speed now up to 45. below are some pictures of the screws I adjusted. I think the key when adjusting this is to add a little down force (very slight) so that the rollers aren't too tight causing drag on the carriage.

Thanks everybody for you help. I never would have found Clean Cut blades (which are great) otherwise.

Attachments

• Graphtec Head1.jpg
    Graphtec Head1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Graphtec Head2.jpg
    Graphtec Head2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 452
  • Graphtec Head3.jpg
    Graphtec Head3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 426