• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Light banding?

SameDay Signs

Trying to figure out why when I print which is mostly 4 pass grantes some 6 pass that after a bit colors will band…if I’m running solid colors I will get very small amount of banding after a few feet if I perform nozzle checks there always 100% …. Sometimes it happens Somme times it doesn’t but is frustrating and no idea what could be causing it

SameDay Signs

What printer are you using?
Epson s40600 …. Just odd prints are fine but when doing long runs on vinyl or banner sometimes I will get the light banding.which gets worse if you let it go on…I’ve stopped print and cleaned and it’s good but I’ve also stopped deleted job did a nozzle check no cleaning and it’s perfect? So confusing

CanuckSigns

Yeah I've had this on my S80600 as well, most noticable in colours that have a lot of cyan, if I pause the job for 30 seconds it goes away for a bit then usually comes back. Dampers makes the most sense to me as well, if you are printing a solid swatch of colour, the same channels are being used all the time and possibly the dampers can't keep up, where as with a standard multi colour print it's all being balanced out, at least that's my non-tech answer!

My epson tech told me the dampers are not really replaceable on these machines, it's a whole assembly that need to be changed

Also 4 pass can't really be used without banding, I've only ever used it on extremely short term graphics like single day paper prints. 6 pass is OK for us, we print most things on pass and it seems to have fixed 99% of this issue.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We run 6 pass all day, and run 4 pass on some projects. No banding ever with 3 Epson 60600s here. Re-calibrate your media feed profiles on the printer.

klingsdesigns

How often do you shake the inks. Supposidly there is a filter in them and if they sit a while my tech told me this can happen.

netsol

Yeah I've had this on my S80600 as well, most noticable in colours that have a lot of cyan, if I pause the job for 30 seconds it goes away for a bit then usually comes back. Dampers makes the most sense to me as well, if you are printing a solid swatch of colour, the same channels are being used all the time and possibly the dampers can't keep up, where as with a standard multi colour print it's all being balanced out, at least that's my non-tech answer!

My epson tech told me the dampers are not really replaceable on these machines, it's a whole assembly that need to be changed

Also 4 pass can't really be used without banding, I've only ever used it on extremely short term graphics like single day paper prints. 6 pass is OK for us, we print most things on pass and it seems to have fixed 99% of this issue.
Are there larger dampers available, likevthe ones intun on my older rolands?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Are there larger dampers available, likevthe ones intun on my older rolands?

Surecolors use dual channel dampers like the ones in a lot of DX7 based printers like the Mutoh ValueJet 1624 and the Roland VS540. Epson is notorious for putting small parts together into a larger assembly and only selling that as a replacement which is the case with the Surecolors. So it does make it difficult to change but not impossible. They don't have any options for larger damper capacity. Technically the dual channel dampers should be able to keep up with the highest printing speeds available on the printer but as you know they can wear out and slow down ink flow.

SameDay Signs

My thing is I can print 2 pass solid black and looks good but certain colors teals green blue a lot of time will get hint of banding . S now 4 pass I understand isn’t highest but sometimes it’s great others it’s awful makes no sense, more importantly do you k ow anything about the cleaning solution location so on…so if I do a random auto cleaning or heavy cleaning it can’t do it do to level to low no idea in this…sorry just trying to figure stuff out

mdjamesd

My thing is I can print 2 pass solid black and looks good but certain colors teals green blue a lot of time will get hint of banding . S now 4 pass I understand isn’t highest but sometimes it’s great others it’s awful makes no sense, more importantly do you k ow anything about the cleaning solution location so on…so if I do a random auto cleaning or heavy cleaning it can’t do it do to level to low no idea in this…sorry just trying to figure stuff out
There is no cleaning fluid reservoir on the 40600 to the best of my knowledge. I know there isn't one on the 60600. The cleaning cycles use your ink to clean the heads. Also, only use the heavy cleaning cycle if truly needed, and even then, before printing anything, run a light cleaning. An Epson Field Tech told me that one years ago.

The dampers are housed in the duct assy which plugs into the top of the head, they can clog up and cause issues. The ink is under high pressure so you need to run the inner tube reduction procedure from the adjustment program before disconnecting the ink tubes from the duct assy. This pressure is why leaks in the junctions are not uncommon on the big surecolors.....A dirty paper feed encoder on the far left can also create some banding....it is the large plastic disc that is run by a belt to a paper feed motor. Dust accumulates and the paper feeds at inconsistent intervals. Also an old printhead can create intermittent banding.....

SameDay Signs

The dampers are housed in the duct assy which plugs into the top of the head, they can clog up and cause issues. The ink is under high pressure so you need to run the inner tube reduction procedure from the adjustment program before disconnecting the ink tubes from the duct assy. This pressure is why leaks in the junctions are not uncommon on the big surecolors.....A dirty paper feed encoder on the far left can also create some banding....it is the large plastic disc that is run by a belt to a paper feed motor. Dust accumulates and the paper feeds at inconsistent intervals. Also an old printhead can create intermittent banding.....
Any tips to clean the paper feed encoder, lately it’s been great heads only a couple years old… when I bought it guy had less then 12 months before repo .. I’ve had for 18 months and printed more rolls in a month then he did in year but I take care of it and so on and just wanna make sure I don’t waste paying a ton for a tech to come if not needed - though it runs great def gotta upgrade to s60600

mim

0_o
If its not the dampers then check the material isn't picking up dust on its way through the machine. We have horrible static in the winter and sometimes we have to wipe the material as it feeds in on especially electric days lol. The head might be picking up debris as it runs.