• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lightning Fried my Plotter

3Dsigns

Lightning got my vinyl cutter and I'm dead in the water. Which brand is a good reliable machine at a reasonable price? 24'' to 30'' preferred and will need enough downforce to cut sandblast stencil.. thanks!

PS. Also would be open to getting a printer/cutter if it will do both jobs.

Last edited:

visual800

Im sold on Summa but they arent cheap, I had a Graphtec that died pretty damn quick I was not impressed and of course signwarehouse did nothing about it.

Concerning lightning, I lost a computer to lighting several years back and it was on a protective strip (as so they say) If there is any chance of storming I unplug computer and plotter. I said UNPLUG them! I dont trust anything to protect my equipment except unplugging.

What plotter did you have that died?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
be smart and protect the new one with a good UPS (battery backup).
a surge protector is just a power strip with a $0.40 metal oxide varistor inside.
it only protects from over voltage, and only up to a point.

a ups at least provides some isolation, in a lightning strike, it will absorb, hopefully, all the damage, sparing the equipment (destroying the ups in the process)

for larger, equipment, pulling more current, we generally use one of the surges that the copier companies insist on installing to protect an under warranty copier. they know from experience what works. i generally buy these on ebay. new they sell for between $85- $200. a good investment for $35. or so

you can also install a "whole house" surge protector in your circuit breaker panel, in addition to the UPS. it protects the fridge, furnace, etc

3Dsigns

Im sold on Summa but they arent cheap, I had a Graphtec that died pretty damn quick I was not impressed and of course signwarehouse did nothing about it.

Concerning lightning, I lost a computer to lighting several years back and it was on a protective strip (as so they say) If there is any chance of storming I unplug computer and plotter. I said UNPLUG them! I dont trust anything to protect my equipment except unplugging.

What plotter did you have that died?
ioline

Kottwitz-Graphics

Im sold on Summa but they arent cheap,

Another vote for Summa. And I also unplug my computer and plotter when we get bad storms coming in...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Battery backup is good for protecting equipment. Surge protectors are basically useless. Brownouts are really what destroy equipment, where the power dips below 120v. I use a "power conditioner". Its like a cheap version of a battery backup.

signage

Battery backup is good for protecting equipment. Surge protectors are basically useless. Brownouts are really what destroy equipment, where the power dips below 120v. I use a "power conditioner". Its like a cheap version of a battery backup.

If when power dips below 120V all machine would all be destroyed as soon as powered up! Almost all machine are designed to work with nominal power of 110VAC +/- 10%.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If when power dips below 120V all machine would all be destroyed as soon as powered up! Almost all machine are designed to work with nominal power of 110VAC +/- 10%.

Actually most can handle up to and over 220v because the power grid in other countries

signage

Actually most can handle up to and over 220v because the power grid in other countries

I was only quoting your original reply.

Why now are you talking about 220V? I guess you will now say 240V will kill it?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
not all power supplies are dusl voltage.
even with the ones that are, you sometimes fill the server room with thick, black smoke...
it's your money, but if you don't protect the machine, i will be reading one of those "sent my main board out for repair & can't get it back " posts.

it's cheaper and smarter to include a UPS with each hardware purchase
good, cheap insurance (after 40 years of doing electronic repairs, i put a ups on everything i can)