• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Linear encoder strip?

Vinyldog

I would like to clean my "linear encoder strip" as recommended.
Can anyone tell me where it is and how to get to it?
How to clean it with would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

BobbyFosson

The encoder is a vertical plastic strip that runs the width of the printer and is usually located just above and behind the carriage wire. Usually looks smokey gray. DO NOT CLEAN WITH ROLAND SOLVENT CLEANING FLUID

Vinyldog

Found it

Can't believe I didn't see it before - I used several "Triad alcohol prep pads" - hadn't given me a problem yet but it was coated with a lot of black stuff - Thanks very much for your help - any idea what it's purpose is?

Ken

yeah...

It is kinda weird thing..I had a Roland tech in the shop last month..to service the versacamm...he did clean that bit...but I never really asked what it actually does...maybe TechGuy can enlighten us?
Cheers!
Ken

Vinyldog

It's clear

What I find interesting is doesn't seem to have any visable circuitry or magnetic layer. It just looks like a piece of clear film.
Now I'm on the hunt for the "guide rail support".

cartoad

What I find interesting is doesn't seem to have any visable circuitry or magnetic layer. It just looks like a piece of clear film.
Now I'm on the hunt for the "guide rail support".
It is an optical device, if you look closely it has lines (marks) on it that are read by a sensor, when it gets dirty your prints will start to skew as they print. Keep it clean and you should not have any problems with it.

After you "clean" your encoder do an ENVIRONMENTAL MATCH to help recalculate the Encoder Reader....and do the ENV Match a few times during the month to help hold the settings.

cdiesel

...And be careful to keep the strip out of any wet ink, like a damp print or the sponge/capping stations. It's best to remove the strip by unhooking the spring on the left of the strip (turn the machine off before doing this). Next, use the capping station wrench to lower the caps, and slide the head to the left. Unscrew the locking tab on the right side (do not remove the screw totally). Clean the strip thoroughly with alcohol--99% works best.

To reinstall the strip, move the head back to the right. Insert the strip (right side up, you can tell which way is up by looking at the hole on the right side of the strip. It should be on the bottom.) Insert about half of the strip into the channel. Then slide the head over to the left, over where you have inserted the strip. Now, carefully push the strip to the right and insert the remaining section. Lock the strip into place by tightening the screw on the tab to the right. Now, reattach the spring on the left. Finally, move the head all the way to the left side of the machine, checking that the strip moves freely inside the encoder strip sensor. You can now turn the machine back on. As mentioned above, do an environmental match on Pro II and older machines. Pro III's will do one automatically. This is the procedure for a Pro III, but is essentially the same for all Rolands.

TIP: If your encoder strip becomes too dirty to clean, scratched, or otherwise damaged to the point it cannot be read by the sensor, you can turn it over and use the bottom! Just remove the flange from the left side, attach it to the right side and reinstall.

Vinyldog

Maybe to much

I've been doing an Env.match every day so I may be over doig that a little.
I used to be mainly a car nut, but this machine is facinating to me.