• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

liquid inlay in routed corian

openwood

I have sarted working with corian.I am looking to do a liquid inlay on some small routed letters.At first I was going to use the seaming adhesive,but i was told that this could lead to bubbles in the inlay.I was told of a epoxy fill could be used.Has anyone ever worked with this material and where can I buy it.I am assuming that it can be sanded and polished like the corian.I seem to have the sanding down well using the trizact paper system,but i am still having trouble obtaing that super gloss finish.I am using 3M finesse it finishing compound and am having trouble making it work.always leaving a film.I am just using a buffing pad on my 6 inch orbital sander.I dont think that is the proper tool.Does anyone have any advise.
This is a picture of my first corian sign.
It is 30 inches long and 8.5 inches high
thanks
Brian

Attachments

• Jordan's (resized).png
    Jordan's (resized).png
    373.4 KB · Views: 210

dennis j

Brian,Sign Foam makes a two part epoxy I think it is called Dura Shine there is at least one other one on the market but can't remember the name right now. I have used this on PVC and Sign Foam but never tried it with Solid Surface material. When used to fill a depression in the material usually I will not try to fill the depression to the top the epoxy will migrate up to the top edge of the depression it makes a cool effect. The epoxy can be colored with a small amount of paint.

Have you tried Granites Deluxe from Romark for this type and size sign yet it come in 24" X 48" sheets? You can route through to a different color and it is outdoor durable.

How is the remodel job going?

openwood

Dennis
I used the seaming compound today to try and fill an inlay.I used white seaming compound in black corian.Filled the holes over the entire inlay being careful not to let air get traped in the inlay.It dried in 45 min. I then sanded it down to the corian and finished it in the normal way. very cool effect, it became one with the black and looked great.
I have heard of another product the is from a company called align rite tool company. They make an epoxy inlay system that is geared twords the solid surface industry.I hear they can match any color from the pantone chart.and it is suppose to be alot less prone to bubbleing.I have not tried the products you wrote about I will have to check them out.
Brian
The remodeling in my house is almost complete,Just in time for fishing to start!!!!! :biggrin:

dennis j

Brian, sounds cool I never thought of filling a cut out with seaming compound and then sanding it off I am going to add this to my things to try. Can you post a photo of the job? :cool1:

openwood

Dennis
I have three more corian signs coming
The customer loved it.
The next one will be the resturant inside the hotel.polished letters this time and white inlayed sub copy,also will have a hand carved Marlin or other fish.He wants it by the end of the week.I should have a photo by this weekend.
Brian

dennis j

Brian, have you tried any of Rowmarks Granite Deluxe it looks like solid surface material and can be used out doors. I is lighter than solid surface and by routing in a small amount you expose a different color plus you can use it with mutiple layers we started using it last summer the customers really like it. I will try to add a photo to the Gallery in the next week or so we forgot our camera when we did our last install have to go back and get a photo. :biggrin:

openwood

liquid inlay pics

here are some pics of 2 more signs.
The first one has a cherry base,corian insert with posished aluminum inlayed letters.
The sub copy is white inlay,which is corian seam adhesive.
The fish is hand carved and hand painted.
The coral is made of foam and "blast cut",Which is technique we use with the sandblaster.
the second is blue corian with satian blue aluminum letters.
The tree is smoked aluminum and the sun is an orange liquid inlay.
The lower copy and tree reflection are also black liquid inlay.
The inalys are very cool,they become part of the panel and can be polished like the corian.
Both Design are in the D&D stage and some adjustments may occur,but i think they are a good base to work from.
Brian
:unclesam:
i put up another picture that is a different angle.I have some better photos but i have to resize them and post ASAP.

Attachments

• barrier 1 (resized).png
    barrier 1 (resized).png
    787.3 KB · Views: 184
  • aqua blue 1 (resized).png
    aqua blue 1 (resized).png
    447.2 KB · Views: 182
  • barrier 2 small.jpg
    barrier 2 small.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

dennis j

Brian, those are some really cool ideas you have using the solid surface and other materials togather nice looking jobs!!! :thumb: :cool1: