• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid Laminate Over Spray Paint?

Stacey K

I like making signs
A customer dropped off 2 4x8 sign boards that she spray painted black but of course it's a flat black and the lettering doesn't stick very well. Here's my question...

Can I roll liquid lam over the spray paint, then add my lettering, then liquid lam again? If not I'll use new boards but basically just asking since she already dropped them off and I'll be stuck with them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You should have one of your policy rules as..... we do not accept customer supplied products on yur displayed 'Company Policies'.

If you roller it on, just wait a good two or three days, before putting any vinyl on it.

Her spray painting the boards will probably fail and not because of your clearcoat. You might want to explain to her, that you will not be responsible for any failure of any sorts, due to this is not the proper procedure to make a panel black. Put it back on her.

One thing scares me, if this is just die cut vinyl, why must you clear over it when finished ??

Stacey K

I like making signs
You should have one of your policy rules as..... we do not accept customer supplied products on yur displayed 'Company Policies'.

If you roller it on, just wait a good two or three days, before putting any vinyl on it.

Her spray painting the boards will probably fail and not because of your clearcoat. You might want to explain to her, that you will not be responsible for any failure of any sorts, due to this is not the proper procedure to make a panel black. Put it back on her.

One thing scares me, if this is just die cut vinyl, why must you clear over it when finished ??
One of them is going to be used at the race track and I like to use liquid lam since they spray them down every week. The other one is going by her ridiculous haunted house that has no customers because it's lame. So that one will only be up for about a month each year. I swear it's nothing more than a tax write off, it's a joke.

I came to the shop and found the sign boards in my pick-up area and didn't know who they were from until she called.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Now that you are latex enabled, print two banners with black backgrounds. add enough bleed to wrap the edges around onto the back. Stretch and staple them from the backside like a canvas photo wrap.
Banner on wood will most likely outlast decals on plywood (on top of a sketchy base coat).

rydods

Member for quite some time.
We do a lot of graphics for these types of boards. I'm guessing they are cornhole, correct? We keep a General formulations high tack material in stock and use it for the boards. We print/cut the graphic and it sticks well to just about anything, then we let our customer deal with coating it. We tell them they need to coat it to protect the graphics. Our other option is a full 4' x 2' printed piece laminated in a matte finish (same material), then we just cut out the hole.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think the boards are actually old ACM boards from the race track! I'm going to laminate them this morning so I can letter them Thursday. I'll explain to her they might not last too long but she said she didn't have to pay for the "sponsorship spot" at the race track so I don't think she cares too much. I'd also be surprised if her "haunted house" makes it past this October.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Think about one thing................ If these boards look sh!tty, you'll get all the credit.

spectrum maine

A customer dropped off 2 4x8 sign boards that she spray painted black but of course it's a flat black and the lettering doesn't stick very well. Here's my question...

Can I roll liquid lam over the spray paint, then add my lettering, then liquid lam again? If not I'll use new boards but basically just asking since she already dropped them off and I'll be stuck with them.
sand it. paint gloss black enamel and charge em