• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid laminate

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I've never used liquid laminate before. Can I use it on auto wrap material for a boat?
We are looking to use 30 inch auto wrap and don't want the waste on the roll laminator. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I did a little research and can't find a laminate that is recommended for latex. Let me know if you find one because I like liquid laminate.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
geneva
aren't you better off loading a 30" roll?
there have to be lots of things you print (i would think) on
narrow rolls
a roll of 30" laminate won't go to waste, we use that all the time
I will check into that one! Thanks.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was wondering about that last night.
There was one on the HP site that was a 3M product but it has to be UV cured. I emailed my sales person at HP and he told me to check out Clearshield, which someone else on here suggested also. I called the company and they said they don't have anything for Latex. My guess is that people are using this even though the company doesn't necessarily recommend it. Apparently things don't stick to latex as well as other inks. I would consider trying it but to do a "5 year trial seems like a long time to wait lol, would rather if someone on here might have a suggestion.

Superior_Adam

I've never used liquid laminate before. Can I use it on auto wrap material for a boat?
We are looking to use 30 inch auto wrap and don't want the waste on the roll laminator. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Get a 30" roll of laminate. On a boat you will want the extra layer of protection. Liquid laminate wont be good enough for a boat.

Turnergraphics

I wouldn't for a number of reasons. One is that I always get dust in my liquid laminate that looks bad up close. And I have a feeling the liquid laminate won't hold up to all the marine environment.

jdragun

Do you have a latex printer? That's what Geneva and I are concerned about...the laminate on latex
I have an eco-solvant machine. I think frog juice is good latex, you can call the manufacturer, ronin coatings. They are in Newburgh NY, but as per their web site:
Frog Juice 7000 Sunscreen Clear is a versatile liquid lamination coating that provides excellent UV protection and edge-sealing properties, and is suitable for use over a wide variety of surfaces including gold leaf, vinyl, enamel receptive banners, water-based paints, latex and solvent paints, digital prints and more.

John

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Not sure why I'm following, no latex printer. And my boss had a terrible experience with liquid laminate, before I came on board. so I've never had the pleasure to meet it. But I'm finding this interesting. Got a speed boat project coming up...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
IMO, anything you spray that doesn't require a catalyst is garbage. Might be good for a banner but does it really do anything? I'd assume that the PVC has uv inhibitors as does the ink.

netsol

IMO, anything you spray that doesn't require a catalyst is garbage. Might be good for a banner but does it really do anything? I'd assume that the PVC has uv inhibitors as does the ink.
in theory the laminate adds to the uv resistance, which is probably a lie
but without uv protection, all the laminate will do is turn yellow or brown, before the underlying print job would

Stacey K

I like making signs
The frog juice comes in a can like paint and is similar in consistency to polyurethane. I have used it in the past on some things and I used a foam roller. You can spray it if you thin it. I just rolled it on a sign and I’ll have it outside at my shop as a test. I have problems with people using my driveway as a shortcut so that’s what this is about lol.
0af6c77457c46c0a2d09d2ec4e0cd737.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCD

Can't use liquid laminate on a boat, it wouldn't last more than the first two trips in the water, you need the extra protection and thickness that the laminate gives the vinyl. Marine environments are very hard on wraps, no matter how much time they spend in the water.

As for liquid laminate, we've used frog juice on the latex before and haven't had any issues. We usually use it on perforated window vinyl only.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Update: The print for each side with overprint ended up being over 31 inches wide. So I printed it on the 54 and had waste. Ran it through the laminator. It wasn't a terrible waste in material.