• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Loading tips?

-Fusion

This may sounds odd - are there any tips on loading a roll of vinyl on the machine to where it feeds straight and true?

VG540 with 54" media.

Pete Moss

When starting a new roll use a square and cut the end. Line up when loading using guides and clamps.

rjssigns

I always wear cotton gloves when loading material.
After I load my SP540V, and before I lower the pinch rollers I do the following steps.
1) Grab the tail of the vinyl in the middle using right hand. You only need about 18" over the platen to do this.
2) Bend down and place my left hand on the loaded roll to keep it from turning.
3) Move tail of vinyl back and forth to find the "center". You'll know when it's there because the vinyl will be relaxed and lay flat.
4) Hold tail in place and use left hand to drop pinch rollers.

Notes:
Use all pinch rollers all the time.
I've found that running the other two pinch rolls as close as possible to the outside rollers works best for feed and contour cutting. YMMV
Never use the cut edge to align. Media drifts when printing, and using the sheet cut function only gives a straight edge based on the skewed media.

ThatGuy

After I load my SP540V, and before I lower the pinch rollers I do the following steps.
1) Grab the tail of the vinyl in the middle using right hand. You only need about 18" over the platen to do this.
3) Move tail of vinyl back and forth to find the "center". You'll know when it's there because the vinyl will be relaxed and lay flat.

Notes:
I've found that running the other two pinch rolls as close as possible to the outside rollers works best for feed and contour cutting. YMMV
Never use the cut edge to align. Media drifts when printing, and using the sheet cut function only gives a straight edge based on the skewed media.

+1

TXFB.INS

Notes:

this

we also have placed a black line on the front of the Rolands so when the material (vinyl banner, etc...) is loaded you can use a quick reference for alignment

-Fusion

Notes:

Perfect. Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Now I just have to get my print/cuts to be more accurate and im in business.