• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

logo infringement

cajun312

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Looks like an unfortunate coincidence... or someone goofed.

I can see why Specialized sued them, they a lot have partnered with other energy drinks like Monster, so they are basically cutting into Specialized brand...

CanuckSigns

100% the new logo is identical to the bike company's logo.

what amazes me is that no one pointed this out before he filled 2.4 million bottles, Specialized is a pretty big company.

SameDay Signs

I'm guessing it was an accident but in all reality Robby Gordon has the money and hopefully the knowledge to hire an attorney to check all these things out beforehand. I'm in the process of registering a trademark and stuff and its expensive to make sure noone else has it though it must be done.

phototec

It's a stylized "S"

It's a stylized "S", several companies something similar, see attachment.

However, this one is very similar!

1 - Speed Energy
2 - Specialized Bikes
3 - Nissan Silvia S-15
4 - Mini Cooper S
5 - Sensor System Solutions

Attachments

• It's a stylized S.jpg
    It's a stylized S.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 102

CanuckSigns

Gordon says his logo is different because it is shaped more like a lightning bolt. His is orange – which he said is a carryover from his days driving for Cingluar – while Specialized’s primary logo is more red.

sounds like some of the people who come in here wanting Harley stuff etc.. "It's not copyright infringement if I replace Harley Davidson With Bob"

lol

Considering he's pretty much always been terrible and these are his finishes in the point standings the last five years -- 30th, 26th, 33rd, 34th, 34th -- I'm kinda surprised he'd use Speed in his product name. I'd go for something more realistic. One Lap Down, In The Wall, Crash, DNF, something like that.

kffernandez

i just saw threeputt's avatar and it looks pretty much like speed energy's "S" :p

but on a more serious note, with soo many global companies having as many log's/symbols... doesn't it bother anybody that sooner or later, you are bound to infringe on somebody's logo one way or another? - especially for these very basic designs?

threeputt

Hey! Knock it off. We stole our logo from a different company, not Speed Energy. 'Sides we pre-date him by about 10 years.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
These may take further looking into.

I just read that Speed actually sued Specialized, who never copyrighted the S

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=64632

But if Specialized's S pre-dates Speed's, Specialized still wins.....the copyright is effective at the time of creation....now, a trademark is a different story...

EDIT: just read the second link...he got a cease and desist and said f!ck it keep 'em goin'....he deserves to have 2.4 million bottles he can't sell just for being an idiot....

graphix45

Maybe any company that uses a stylized "S" in their logo should file a class action suite! ...Really there's only so many ways to change the letter and still recognize it.

I like the suggestion of changing the name to "Spin Out Energy Drink".

cajun312

To me there are enough differences in the S. But maybe that's from spending too many hours trying to find the perfect match for a font.
The average joe wouldn't notice the differences though.