• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo thread revisited (Catering Company)

Jillbeans

A few months back I started this topic about a catering logo for a guy with an odd last name.
He finally agreed to go a different route and use his first name rather than his last. I like the name now.

I also convinced him that he needs an icon of some sort, He wanted the old crossed knife and fork, but that has been done to death. So I doodled up a little skillet. He really likes it. I'm sure there is something similar out there but I did draw this by hand.

This new logo is pretty much a go, other than needing a bit of clean-up. Now I am stuck on colors. I have these five ideas (the one he's seen is top left) and I don't want to overwhelm him with color choices now that we are so close.

Which do you prefer, or should I try a different color combo? I think the layout needs the oval to ground it. I've messed with the angle of the pan in a few of these as well. I think I like the bottom left the best, but am not sure if the color choice is the best.

Sorry for having two threads about almost the same thing.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• skcolors.jpg
    skcolors.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 120

SignProPlus-Chip

I agree with the oval...it helps hold it all together. However there is a lot of stress in that layout, watch your tangents.

As for the skillet...I see tomato, shrimp mushrooms onion and broccoli?

wedosigns

I like the bottom left as well. I would go with a solid yellow instead of the gradient(which is nice), so that it will be consistant for various outputs, such as print, cut vinyl, or embroidery.
Nice work Jill!:toasting:

Circleville Signs

I'm in the minority here - I say bottom right. I really don't like the oval. IMO, the oval makes it feel a little dated. If you have to go oval, bottom left.

J

john1

Jill, Your work always looks playful and fun!

I like the brighter yellow concept myself. Be a good aluminum composite building sign

Jillbeans

Ok, messed with the angles and gradients a bit and put the stripes into the grey version.
Like I said, I don't want to overwhelm him with versions.

Attachments

• skcolors2.jpg
    skcolors2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 96

Wes Phifer

I guess I'm different. I like the top right. The red around the oval in the bottom left takes away from the text. imo.

WildWestDesigns

I'm in the minority here - I say bottom right. I really don't like the oval. IMO, the oval makes it feel a little dated. If you have to go oval, bottom left.

I'm partial to the same one in the OP as well as the new one.

1. I think it looks better

and

2. If this is the same company that is going to have embroidery done (which most of this type do (my local bread and butter here), it's going to be the easiest to duplicate.

Blending can be duplicated, but to duplicate that correctly in this instance, you would have to put the satin stitch for the text on top of of the oval without holes for the text to fill up. That creates a lot of push/pull especially on picque fabric. You also run the risk of bullet proof embroidery when you start layering like that. Bottom left would require a lot of stabilizer to get that to work. I would run one medium weight and at least 3 tear away pieces to get that to work. In the end, the customers would only see/feel the medium weight. Oh and how big is that "and catering" copy in a 100 x 100 mm field? .15" is the smallest block font that I have already set up for embroidery and that's just one font. Most don't go below .25", but I have somewhat of a selection for .20".

The easiest and cheapest to replicate would be bottom right. The others can be done, but in all steps would more then likely run higher in price, not just as far as making the pattern, but the actual embroidery as well.

Sorry Jill, I'm sure your tired of reading my posts when I do that. My mind breaks down designs in that manner. Type of stitches, stitch angles and stitching order.

Craig Sjoquist

Well my favorite is bottom left because it does look retro.
Other then that, all of them since all really the same one can use them in different ways and be playful depending what is being catered and timing.

Brad Knight

I like the bottom left - mainly because the 'and catering' looks like it was put there on purpose - in the others, it looks like an afterthought.

lexsigns

bottom right here... i like the green the best :) maybe green oval? I do like the oval but something about the green I am diggin...

Jillbeans

Pruning it down, and I really am listening.
The illustration is going to be more refined, I just wanted to nail down something to show him today.
I took away (I think) all of the gradients, made the S bigger, made the picture bigger.
:thankyou:

Attachments

• skcolors2.jpg
    skcolors2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 92

JR's

Hi Jill,
I really love your work. And this piece especially. It has a fun, healthy, fresh, appeal to it.
I like the light green one only thing I would change is the(and catering) for some reason it seems to be fighting with the layout.

Maybe you could try and change it to a & and tucking it behind the leg of the K. and bringing it down in height and opening up the space between the letters.

Just my opinion. What do I know I am just a sign guy. :)

JR

PS what's really important is I would definitely eat at this place just by looking at the sign.

Jillbeans

Better? I tried putting the & between the legs of the K but it looked too spaced out.

Attachments

• skcolors2.jpg
    skcolors2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 76