• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at getting a TrueVIS SG 540 and the dealer wants to charge me...

tim99

Set up fee
training fee
shipping PLUS a travel fee.

Is this normal?

Dont feel to bad our dealer did the same thing to us. it all adds up pretty quick.. what i was told is we could skip the setup, training and travel fees, but we would lose out our warranty because it was not setup by someone certified to set it up.. so if it was defective out of the box for whatever reason we would be out of luck. also there's the PECKS program for the printer, i never used it myself but one dealer told me its really simple to do while another said it was really complicated..

My recommendation is to pay the fees make sure its done right and keep the warranty.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell them you gonna shop it around. The cost of the printer itself is usually inclusive of all that crap, plus a bundle of media and extra inks, which is usually a value of around $3,000 in itself. That sounds like a money-grabbing whore to me.

They're gonna make their money on you buying supplies from them.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It all depends on your market. Here in Denver we compete with a few of the major distributors and we are more of a mom and pop. Our selling point is that we setup, train and support all for free. Shipping is always paid by the buyer but we have special pricing on shipping through FedEx which helps them out. If you only have one place near you to purchase the machine, you may be out of luck. You could consider going out of state or something like that but that adds a headache to the warranty situation. If you trust your local guys to support you, I would stick with them as that is the most important part in my opinion.

Edit: You may want to try a Mutoh. We are a dealer for them and it is in our contract that we have to support every machine we sell whether we set it up or not. As long as it is in warranty, if we don't make it out to the customer within 48 hours we get in big trouble.

Baz

I would definitely shop around for a company that will set up and do basic training on equipment bought.

This is just their business model trying to sell the cheapest price in order to get the sale.
So they cut out set up and training.
Big mistake on their part.

The insult is the refusal to warranty their equipment if it is not set up by them.