• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for a good argument for local municipality to allow Push Through Acrylic sign

SignProPlus-Chip

OK, so we CANNOT craft any signage that has any type of front face illumination. No light boxes, no standard channel letters etc... But we CAN have Halo lit channel letters.

So my current discussion with the town is to allow push-through signs. Since they technically satisfy the "indirect" lighting standard set forth in the sign code. Now because the sides of the acrylic are lit, but not forward facing, mind you, they want to say no on the front end.

Anyone have a good argument for the Pro side of allowing the push-through signs?

Brink

Seems that a good argument is that from a lighting standpoint they are basically the same as halo lit letters. The letters are not lit, the light comes from around the letters the same as halo lit lettering.

SignProPlus-Chip

Exactly!...pretty much my words to them. I think it's more than nobody else in the area has the capacity to fabricate push-through signs, so it's kind of new to them....they fear change. ;)

Seems that a good argument is that from a lighting standpoint they are basically the same as halo lit letters. The letters are not lit, the light comes from around the letters the same as halo lit lettering.

player

Go to the committee or council in charge with SAMPLES of each, turn out the lights and show them how they are the same. Telling them is not as effective.

Andy D

I would say push thru with opaque vinyl is the definition of non-front face illumination.
Worst case, could you route out the copy, oversized, from aluminum or PVC and
adhere them to the front of the push through?

visual800

you will be explaining something that you understand And they wont. dimwits is usually what works at out municipalities. I dig push thru, hope they can grasp it

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
When dealing with government officials these always seem persuasive

Money-Wads.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

br1ght

I know this is an old thread, but my argument would be, what will they do when McDonalds wants to come to town (or Walmart etc)... they all have signs that won't meet your bylaw AND they have high priced lawyers who won't take no for an answer... their bylaw is archaic and needs to be revised to bring it into the 21st century

SignProPlus-Chip

I know this is an old thread, but my argument would be, what will they do when McDonalds wants to come to town (or Walmart etc)... they all have signs that won't meet your bylaw AND they have high priced lawyers who won't take no for an answer... their bylaw is archaic and needs to be revised to bring it into the 21st century

Oh you sweet innocent summer child....that never actually happens. We have a Hobby Lobby about to open here and their specs called for a facade sign that was something like 291 sqft. The county is capping them at 80sqft which is within code, they fought for 3 months and got nowhere.

We also do a lot of work in Hilton Head, SC which notoriously has some of the strictest sign codes in the US. A PetSmart is coming soon and they finally gave up and decided to have their sign in Black and White because HHI would not permit their corporate colors.

Do you really thing a store that is trying to open to do business is goingbto waste years in litigation on their signage?

Brandon708

I ran into this with same sign ordinance. There isn't really amything you can say to them because they are the real sign professionals. One part of it said they allow light boxes then at the end it said no internally lit light boxes are allowed. It turned a simple light box into a sign that cost twice as much.

Attachments

• 20160908_203735.jpg
    20160908_203735.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 229

tylercrum

I'm asking out of 100% pure curiosity as we don't do signage like that, but could someone post a picture of a "push-through" sign? I just want to see what it looks like compared to the other types described in this thread. :thumb:

shoresigns

I ran into this with same sign ordinance. There isn't really amything you can say to them because they are the real sign professionals. One part of it said they allow light boxes then at the end it said no internally lit light boxes are allowed. It turned a simple light box into a sign that cost twice as much.

S.I. Turd Ron

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Oh you sweet innocent summer child....that never actually happens. We have a Hobby Lobby about to open here and their specs called for a facade sign that was something like 291 sqft. The county is capping them at 80sqft which is within code, they fought for 3 months and got nowhere.

We also do a lot of work in Hilton Head, SC which notoriously has some of the strictest sign codes in the US. A PetSmart is coming soon and they finally gave up and decided to have their sign in Black and White because HHI would not permit their corporate colors.

Do you really thing a store that is trying to open to do business is goingbto waste years in litigation on their signage?

The Hilton Head Island thing was my first thought, too. I used to work at a shop in Savannah that did quite a bit of work on the island and their codes were even more strict than the codes in Savannah's historic district. Pretty much all of the businesses there with monument signs had sandblasted signs on some kind of brick structure with ground lighting.

Marlene

I have to deal with a city that has the same regs but they do allow push thru as long as the face is opaque. photos of push thru and halo help a lot as they can see the end result is almost the same. tell them it is just a different means to the sae end

ThatGuy

I'm asking out of 100% pure curiosity as we don't do signage like that, but could someone post a picture of a "push-through" sign? I just want to see what it looks like compared to the other types described in this thread. :thumb:
Here is an example.

Attachments

• Dalton_Convention_Center (3).jpg
    Dalton_Convention_Center (3).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Dalton_Convention_Center (7).jpg
    Dalton_Convention_Center (7).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Dalton_Convention_Center (8).jpg
    Dalton_Convention_Center (8).jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 200