• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for a new plotter to do perf cutting, suggestions?

F80M3

Custom Title
I currently use a CE6000 and just do contour cutting of decals, then use a straight edge and knife to cut them into individual decals.

I feel like my time would be better used if I could have the plotter perf cut them for me. This would also allow me to nest my decals closer and save materials.

I was looking at another graphtec cause its been solid for me but i just read that I have to manually move the blade to do perf cutting? Maybe I'm not fully understanding this.

Do I need to contour cut 1st then perf cut on the same line to get clean cuts or can i skip the contour cut and just do perf cutting.

is there a plotter out there that will do both without manual intervention?

I use Flexi 12 right now if that matters.

thanks for the input!

FrankW

All Summa Cutters will do that without manual intervention as changing the knife position.

There are some configurations to do before, for example setting the knife depth to cut through the liner, and setting up the knife pressures, but you don't need to do that for every single job. In Flexi, you could assign two differently named cut lines, and assign the perf cut to one of them.

In addition, summa allows to do automatic batch processing: with OPOS Barcode, the plotter will identify the correct cut files automatically by reading a printed barcode, and will cut several jobs in a row without any intervention.

F80M3

Custom Title
All Summa Cutters will do that without manual intervention as changing the knife position.

There are some configurations to do before, for example setting the knife depth to cut through the liner, and setting up the knife pressures, but you don't need to do that for every single job. In Flexi, you could assign two differently named cut lines, and assign the perf cut to one of them.

In addition, summa allows to do automatic batch processing: with OPOS Barcode, the plotter will identify the correct cut files automatically by reading a printed barcode, and will cut several jobs in a row without any intervention.

*edit, I see you said they will all do this which is awesome.

Thanks! I see that summa has several lines of cutters. Will they all do this or is there a specific model line that I need to look at. for example the CE series doesn't do perf cut for graphtech but the FC series does.

I will look into Summa today. appreciate the reply!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi cboy808,

I would be happy to demonstrate the flex cut(perf cut) function if you wanted to drop by sometime. We are located in north Seattle and have all the different series available for demonstration. Please email me at philj@summa.us if you would be interested in coming by to see the cutters.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

FrankW

@ cboy808:

Would be a good idea to have a look on the machines if you have the possibility in seattle. You will be impressed. If you could read german, you can have a look on www.oposx.ch .

I work at a dealer, doing for example demonstrations of signmaking units like printers and cutters. One time customers came to have a look on a HP Latex in action, and told me that they are interested in the printer only, NOT in cutters because they had a three year old graphtec.

After that demonstration they have ordered a S-Class 2 140T, impressed by FlexCut and Barcode Cutting.

ams

Most or all Rolands can cut perf. Look at the Versacamms. I've done it on mine.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Most or all Rolands can cut perf. Look at the Versacamms. I've done it on mine.

Like Frank mentioned, I think you are confusing cutting perforated vinyl with perf cutting vinyl. With flex cutting(perf cutting) you are cutting a vinyl material through the backing material and leaving behind small tabs. The tabs keep the graphics in place during the cutting process but are small enough that those graphics can easily be punched out after the cutting process is complete.

With Summa cutters, unlike Graphtec and others, there is no tool position change required as you transition from kiss cutting to flex cutting. As a result the process is much more automated and user friendly. I have a handy flex cut document which provides a detailed overview of the flex cutting process using a Summa that I can email you if you would like. Please email me at philj@summa.us if you would like a copy.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

TomK

Like Frank mentioned, I think you are confusing cutting perforated vinyl with perf cutting vinyl. With flex cutting(perf cutting) you are cutting a vinyl material through the backing material and leaving behind small tabs. The tabs keep the graphics in place during the cutting process but are small enough that those graphics can easily be punched out after the cutting process is complete.

With Summa cutters, unlike Graphtec and others, there is no tool position change required as you transition from kiss cutting to flex cutting. As a result the process is much more automated and user friendly. I have a handy flex cut document which provides a detailed overview of the flex cutting process using a Summa that I can email you if you would like. Please email me at philj@summa.us if you would like a copy.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Phil,

Is this a feature on all of your cutters or just a certain model cutter? If across all, does it work the same across all of them and I assume works with Flexi without any problems?

Thanks!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Tom,

All of our current models can flex cut. The flex cut feature has actually been around for quite a while(used to be used quite a bit to cut single ply materials on our older models), however the ability to flex cut and kiss cut in the same job is a relatively new feature(within the last 6 or 7 years). Flexi can be used to drive the Summa cutters and flex cut, however this feature in the last couple versions of Flexi(V10 or newer). If you have the cloud version of Flexi it can definitely be used to flex cut with Summa cutters.

Please feel free to email me at philj@summa.us if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Tom!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

kffernandez

hi phil!

i plan on getting a 54" cutter soon. i was considering either the summa S2 T140, or Graphtec FC-8600. based on the forum comments, i would love to get the summa. but i am concerned that summa cutter contacts the cutting strip directly during perf/flex cut, while the graphtec has a channel for it.

my practical sense tells me that regular perf/flex cutting on the summa will prematurely ruin my blade and cutting strip. can you please clarify if my thinking is correct? like the OP, i plan on using the perf/flex cut functionality a lot. but im not sure if i can afford dulling my blades prematurely for that.

thanks!

kelly

AF

hi phil!

i plan on getting a 54" cutter soon. i was considering either the summa S2 T140, or Graphtec FC-8600. based on the forum comments, i would love to get the summa. but i am concerned that summa cutter contacts the cutting strip directly during perf/flex cut, while the graphtec has a channel for it.

my practical sense tells me that regular perf/flex cutting on the summa will prematurely ruin my blade and cutting strip. can you please clarify if my thinking is correct? like the OP, i plan on using the perf/flex cut functionality a lot. but im not sure if i can afford dulling my blades prematurely for that.

thanks!

kelly

Get the Summa. The flex cut feature is one of the major reasons it is the best machine available. Don't worry about the cutting strip. The fact that it flex cuts over the strip is what allows for repeatble and accurate pressure adjustments for automated flex cutting. The strip lasts a long time, it's cost becoming neglible. As for dulling blades, not an issue. These are not cheap Chinese pot metal blades. They are precision European tool steel.

The Summa is also available with a true tangential head. It has a pounce strip. The units weighs at least twice that of the competitors which makes the machine much more stable. The servo motors are are powerful and precise. The front panel interface is well designed and usable. The software is well written and constantly updated. Phil is on here to help. So many reasons to get the Summa...

kffernandez

Get the Summa. The flex cut feature is one of the major reasons it is the best machine available. Don't worry about the cutting strip. The fact that it flex cuts over the strip is what allows for repeatble and accurate pressure adjustments for automated flex cutting. The strip lasts a long time, it's cost becoming neglible. As for dulling blades, not an issue. These are not cheap Chinese pot metal blades. They are precision European tool steel.

your reply was everything i needed to hear. relevant, and direct to the point.
for this price range, i don't see any reason why i shouldn't go with the summa S2-T series.

thanks! i really do appreciate the quick response.

kelly