• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for advice on my potential large format setup

SteadfastRecs

Hi, I’m a new member and was hoping to get some feedback or insight on my large format printer quest thus far. I would be completely new to large format printing, but have worked in a press shop before and have been working in digital and print design for the past 20+ years. This printer purchase would not be my current primary source of income, I would like to grow to that eventually. I have some specific questions and an outline of what I want to make and would be grateful for any direction or feedback.

What I want to make
I run an independent record label and my primary use would be to create in-house, short run, glued pocket, LP jackets for vinyl records. I would also like to print posters and fine art prints.

What I’m thinking about buying
  • Epson SureColor T8570D
  • 26” manual feed roller style creasing machine
Hopeful / Intended process for creating LP jackets
  • Print to trimmed board stock
  • Run print through manual creaser
  • 2 manual edge trims
  • Manually glue and fold
Questions
Any glaring omissions that I haven’t considered?

Do I need a laminator if I’m only doing posters and cardstock prints?

I’m not very familiar with the lamination process and was unsure if those were primarily meant for vinyl, or if anything I print needs to be laminated?

I haven’t had any luck sourcing stock yet, I specifically need 20pt board stock if anyone has any recommendations on where to look?

Do I need a large paper trimmer?
My print size will be 26”x13.33”, will I be able to order stock trimmed to this size? Or will I need to trim/have trimmed elsewhere?

I’ve learned a ton browsing here this weekend. Thank you so much for any feedback you may have to share!

Ldireprophil

Consider going to work for a large format print shop for a year or so, you'll gain valuable information and skills which will serve you well moving forward with your own endeavor.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I dunno if 26" to print LP jackets would be considered large format. I think the title is a bit misleading but I get your point

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless I got it wrong, that printer seems like a toy for what you want. In all my years of handling album covers/jackets, the ink never wiped off on my fingers or under certain conditions. Even with a lam on it, it's not gonna have the same feel. If you're not going for authenticity, do what you want. Otherwise, research further and get the correct equipment, instead of some quick cheap fix.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You definitely want to test your "print to board stock" method before purchasing. Most Epson based, roll to roll printers have a max media thickness of 1mm. More rigid materials fare worse than flexible ones as well. Not that I think it's impossible but you definitely want to be sure your media will run through the machine without head strikes.

SteadfastRecs

Thank you all for reading and the input. To clarify, my experience is in design for print and web. I worked for a couple years in a print shop that ran 1 & 2 color presses, I do not have any experience with large format printers, but learned a lot about printing in general at this job.

Ldireprophil I'm full time with my design job and hadn't really considered trying to work at a shop that ran these machines. That's a good idea and would be a great way to learn.

Notarealsignguy I don't necessarily need something wider than 24" for this, but was considering a larger machine for additional print capabilities I may want.

Gino I really am trying to find the correct equipment and not a quick cheap fix for this. I do want a finished product that is as close as possible to what you would expect a traditional press run LP jacket to feel like, but am trying to create a solution for very short run projects. Print runs of 1-100 for custom test presses, lathe cuts or short run pressings. The Jackets I've had traditionally manufactured are printed on 20pt sbs/rigid board stock. I was hoping to find the same weight in something that I could run through a digital printer. The Epson I am considering claims to take stock up to 1.5mm thick, which seemed adequate. You may be correct and these just may not feel right or similar enough. I have a POC mocked up and am going to see if anywhere locally can print to poster board or something similar to the stock I'm looking for.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Hi, I’m a new member and was hoping to get some feedback or insight on my large format printer quest thus far. I would be completely new to large format printing, but have worked in a press shop before and have been working in digital and print design for the past 20+ years. This printer purchase would not be my current primary source of income, I would like to grow to that eventually. I have some specific questions and an outline of what I want to make and would be grateful for any direction or feedback.

What I want to make
I run an independent record label and my primary use would be to create in-house, short run, glued pocket, LP jackets for vinyl records. I would also like to print posters and fine art prints.

What I’m thinking about buying
  • Epson SureColor T8570D
  • 26” manual feed roller style creasing machine
Hopeful / Intended process for creating LP jackets
  • Print to trimmed board stock
  • Run print through manual creaser
  • 2 manual edge trims
  • Manually glue and fold
Questions
Any glaring omissions that I haven’t considered?

Do I need a laminator if I’m only doing posters and cardstock prints?

I’m not very familiar with the lamination process and was unsure if those were primarily meant for vinyl, or if anything I print needs to be laminated?

I haven’t had any luck sourcing stock yet, I specifically need 20pt board stock if anyone has any recommendations on where to look?

Do I need a large paper trimmer?
My print size will be 26”x13.33”, will I be able to order stock trimmed to this size? Or will I need to trim/have trimmed elsewhere?

I’ve learned a ton browsing here this weekend. Thank you so much for any feedback you may have to share!
If that's all your doing, I would sub it all out. I understand your urge to want to create it but you aren't using the printer to its full potential. There are so many really good wholesale print places (firesprint, b2signs) that can give you a quality product for a low cost that you don't need to actually do the printing part.

SteadfastRecs

You definitely want to test your "print to board stock" method before purchasing. Most Epson based, roll to roll printers have a max media thickness of 1mm. More rigid materials fare worse than flexible ones as well. Not that I think it's impossible but you definitely want to be sure your media will run through the machine without head strikes.
Thank you for this, really good to know. I'm going to see about getting some test prints on the thickest/closest to what I'm looking for stock at some local shops next.

SteadfastRecs

If that's all your doing, I would sub it all out. I understand your urge to want to create it but you aren't using the printer to its full potential. There are so many really good wholesale print places (firesprint, b2signs) that can give you a quality product for a low cost that you don't need to actually do the printing part.
Thank you, this might be a better starting point for me to see if I can get this product off the ground. The eventual hope is to offer these as a product outside of my own needs, and to be eventually using the printer to it's fullest.

signsbydebbie

18" x 28" 16pt printed SS or DS, gloss (UV cured liquid). $1.50 each + $10 shipped overnight. signs365.com
What you need is produced on digital presses. It really can't be produced on overgrown desktop gear. Even actual wide format printers are not well suited for this.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Most "wide format" printers are roll-to-roll machines.
Only some printers now accept "pieces", and I'm not sure whether or not you can get heavy enough material as a roll stock instead of sheets?

In our industry over the past couple years most materials only available in the most commonly used sizes.
We have 63" printers and have a real hard time getting any stock of anything besides 54" wide print material from our suppliers.
We used to order 60, 36, 48 and 54" every day, but now almost everything prints on 54" rolls.

Most suppliers do not have a slitter to make you narrower oddball widths of material.
There is a local supplier who has another customer that has a narrower printer, and they have to bring their supplies over here to have us slit the rolls down for them when they drop off our supplies.

I would recommend going ahead and getting a 54/63" printer, as you can run 2-up or rotate/nest your prints to get faster output and better yield.
You are probably going to be doing a LOT of straight line trimming, so I would also recommend something like a Foster Keencut tabletop cutter to make this easier after printing.

I do NOT know what type/brand of printer would be best for you within your price range, but I would think if money was unlimited that you'd want a flatbed print/cut system.