• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for advice on Omega software

itzdeb

Hello there I know it's been years since I've made a post and sometimes I do read some however I need some help now that I'm buying a new plotter, software and a new computer.
Since I've purchased from Hyatts before I'm probably going to purchase this one from them.

Graphtec CE7000-60 24-Inch Cutter​

I have an older version of Gerber Omega software but don't know if I'll be using that or upgrading, as this may be too old to run the plotter (still going to check which version I have,etc.) Not only is the newest version of Omega software $900 but I'm not sure if I need to deal with the learning curve right now. I was very happy with what I had before in the earliest version 4.3 maybe.

Would anyone know where to purchase the 6.5 version of Omega software?
Has anyone used Gerber omega software for their signs? Not too many people I know use this product. Many of my sign friends use Corel or sign lab with Adobe illustrator.
Would anyone know the differences of the different versions of this software, and if there are large learning curves? I paint some of my own logos and just use the plotter for the lettering to make it faster than hand painting so I don't need something improved, just what my earlier version used.
I want to say thank you ahead of time for reading this and if you know of anybody that can tell me the differences I would appreciate it.

Jburns

If you are happy with your 4.X version, I think that would be OK. You mentioned in another post you plan to print with your Gerber edge? I would load your software on a computer ( compatible mode to windows 7) and see if the CE7000 is listed. But if you plan on printing from the edge - a Gerber plotter would be easier workflow and likely more accurate.

Edit: Also - you can upgrade your 4X to 7.0 for 545.00 thru Hyatts. I think the tools layout from 4 to 7 is similar, but much better software and will run on a new computer easier.

itzdeb

If you are happy with your 4.X version, I think that would be OK. You mentioned in another post you plan to print with your Gerber edge? I would load your software on a computer ( compatible mode to windows 7) and see if the CE7000 is listed. But if you plan on printing from the edge - a Gerber plotter would be easier workflow and likely more accurate.

Edit: Also - you can upgrade your 4X to 7.0 for 545.00 thru Hyatts. I think the tools layout from 4 to 7 is similar, but much better software and will run on a new computer easier.
Thank you for the information, I truly appreciate it. I will "not" be printing with a Gerber Edge. I am purchasing a graphtec 24" plotter however and I only want to cut vinyl. I didn't know if you were aware but there is not Microsoft support for Windows 7 anymore so therefore the updates have not been happening and It could bring in some viruses to my computer. That was my brother suggestion and warning.
I haven't been using my computer for a couple years now because I have other devices that I use for my Internet.
So that brings me back to looking at my original Omega disk that I have to see exactly which version I'll be talking about.
Thank you for the info and I will be checking on some things.

itzdeb

Thank you for the information, I truly appreciate it. I will "not" be printing with a Gerber Edge. I am purchasing a graphtec 24" plotter however and I only want to cut vinyl. I didn't know if you were aware but there is not Microsoft support for Windows 7 anymore so therefore the updates have not been happening and It could bring in some viruses to my computer. That was my brother suggestion and warning.
I haven't been using my computer for a couple years now because I have other devices that I use for my Internet.
So that brings me back to looking at my original Omega disk that I have to see exactly which version I'll be talking about.
Thank you for the info and I will be checking on some things to proceed to the next step.

itzdeb

Thank you for the information, I truly appreciate it. I will "not" be printing with a Gerber Edge. I am purchasing a graphtec 24" plotter however and I only want to cut vinyl. I didn't know if you were aware but there is not Microsoft support for Windows 7 anymore so therefore the updates have not been happening and It could bring in some viruses to my computer. That was
my brother's suggestion and warning.
Thank you for the info and I will be checking on some things to proceed to the next step.

Ready

Ready To Go

Hello Jburns,

The attached link takes you to a company that specializes in Gerber printers, plotters and software. They started their business in the '80s. They can help. I have a Gerber FX and a GSx Plus-15.

I believe they have an 800 number, not that it matters anymore.

Bob P.

Billct2

I use Gerber Omega, 5.0 I think. I learned computer sign making with Gerber and have stuck with it. Some of the features on Gerber are more sign orientated. I also have Corel for printing.
The one issue you may have is the ability to use the old version on a new computer. You can get upgrades cheaper than a new version

Adam.Foster

The learning curve from Omega 4 to Omega 7 is very small. The layout and tools are identical with the real difference being added functionality. Gerber only sells the current version Omega 7 and to be honest Omega 7 ads some great features especially for cut only applications. For example Omega 7 now has customizable user palettes, customizable keyboard shortcuts, toolbars for interactive outline and improved drawing tools,, Function templates for saving commonly used repeat values, outlines and shadows, Clipping paths and ability to assign process colors for proofs, interactive constraints, new drawing tools for arrows and much more. Check out Gerbers YouTube channel to see all of the new features and how they work. Gerber Omega 7 Demonstration videos

Signsfyi

I have Gerber Omega 6.5 and have been using Gerber GA & Omega for 20+ years. The jump from 4 to 6/7 is really not that bad. Since you are not printing, Gerber has a cut only version of the software. I like the print features for design, but then again I have printers. I am currently running a GS15+, Envision 375, Edge FX, Graphtec 6800-130 and an HP 315 latex printer. The software does everything fine except the RIP for the HP, which I use another RIP software for that. My favorite strengths for Gerber is the node editing, scan to vector and the fact that you can truly own the software without a tedious and expensive subscription that risk you losing availablity to your files. It also opens pretty much any file format. I will finish my days with Omega as part of my software arsenal of which it is one of many. Good luck