• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for DSLR

tanneji

Hi all!

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this and please remove if not, but I was wondering if anyone had gotten a new DSLR and had their old one sitting around just waiting to be bought. I have an advanced point and shoot but am looking to upgrade to a used DSLR to learn on.

Thanks!

Joel

supersignmart

Just gave my Cannon Rebel XSI to my daughter, great starter camera. You can pick up a XS from Best Buy for around 500.00, not to bad.

tanneji

Thanks for the heads up ... It looks like they have a couple of good deals on those with extra lenses ... I'm gonna head over after work and take a look. Thanks!

S

SignTech

I have a Cannon XSI and it's better then a starter camera if you know how to use it.

The photog makes the shot ..... not the camera ..... if you want pics of it's capabilities go here http://michaelalphonsephotography.com/ my site

If you want a good education as to DSLR's and products worth buying go here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/

Don't get caught up in all that mega pixel nonsense either ... I have blown up clear pics very large with 6MP ......... for instance the Nikon D40 ........ I am moving to the Nikon D90 soon only because my biz is growing, but I won't trash my XSI ....... good luck

Malkin

The T1i (step up from XSi) usually sells for about $650 these days with the kit lens, and the T2i (next step again) usually sells for about $850 or so.

Tax rebate season coming up might be the best time to try to find good deals on used equipment since many would be trading up.

If you upgrade to a DSLR, expect there to be a steep learning curve. Better equipment is not always easier to use (at first), but will result in better pictures once you know what you are doing.

Good Luck!

Rodi

At the entry level they all have some trade offs, so you have to ask yourself what is important to you? I'm leaning toward the Pentax, but really for what I am going to use it for, a Canon, Sony or Nikon would do great too. I googled best entry level DSLR and just spent some time reading about them

SignManiac

I love my Canon D40, they've come down in price. It's not the camera, it's the person standing behind the camera.

Malkin

I love my Canon D40, they've come down in price. It's not the camera, it's the person standing behind the camera.

Out of curiosity, do you mean the Canon 40D or the Nikon D40? (somewhat different feature set) Both are off the market at this point but available used in abundance.

cgsigns_jamie

If you can find a nice Canon Rebel go for it. I started up with a Canon Rebel XT and have moved up to a new 5D MkII. I really like the Canon family. (The Nikon's are just as good).

The nice thing about DSLR's is you can interchange the lenses. So focus more of your budget on buying quality lenses and upgrade the body (camera) when you can.

And be prepared... Photography is an EXPENSIVE hobby!

I like http://the-digital-picture.com/ for reviews and info.

jmcnicoll

Canon, Canon, Canon, all the way! However, size does matter! We do a lot of very large tradeshow pieces and the bigger the camera the better!!!! All depends on what your willing to accept. Can I take a image with a 6 megpixel and blow it up to 20x30, yes I can. Some images will work better than others. Can you blow that same image to 7' x 10' I can, but I won't like the results. That said I think most the cameras now are at least 10 megapixels, not as nice as my 21MP, but pretty good for the price. FYI the lenses you get the the kits are not the best. The do a good job for the price, but if you get into it for a while spend some money on a Canon L series, or even the pro third party lenses. Most are much sharper and the consumer lenses.

Jim

saktrnch

I like Canon L series lens. The glass is what makes the picture. Get a body that will allow you to record the image in raw format for better manipulation. I'm kind of partial to the Canon 1D, someday I'll actually have one.... as soon as my 20D buys it for me.

jmcnicoll

I currently have the Canon 5d Mark II and a variety of lenses and would be happy to answer any questions. Remember when buying lenses that the consumer cameras have the small sensor and you have to factor in the 1.6x lens factor. Most important if trying to shoot interiors and such.

jim

Letterbox Mike

I have a Nikon D70 that's in like new condition that I could be convinced to let go of, I've been thinking of upgrading for a while now. PM me if you're interested!

tanneji

Wow. What a great load of advice! Thank you all so much for all of the links etc. I clearly have a bunch of reading. Thanks all!!! And insignia I sent you a pm :)

phototec

Looking for a DSLR

NIKON all the way, I started with a Nikon F in 1969 (see photo), and have all the different generation Nikon bodies to date. Started shooting digital in 1992 with one of the first Kodak DCS 200 (Nikon body and lenses), and now shooting with the Nikon D3, and although I have purchase newer auto focus lenses, I still have and can use my 1969 lenses on my latest Nikon D3 body.

Point being, I suggest getting a camera system that will grow with you and allow you to keep up with technology. Also, as it has been mentioned, the camera & lenses are only make for half of the photography, the person driving the camera needs to know how to control the camera and technology.

Nikon RAW and Photoshop CS5, such an awesome duo!

If I was just starting out in the DSLR world today, I would invest in the new Nikon D7000, whichfeatures a 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor, 6 fps continuous shooting and breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with full time autofocus. You will never regret, or look back.

Attachments

• Jon inside chopper Vietnam (s).jpg
    Jon inside chopper Vietnam (s).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 160

signswi

Loving my Canon T2i. Prefer Canon glass options and I like a smallish hand fit. I shoot mostly portraits and use a 50mm lens most often. Canon 420ex flash+omnibounce when the situation calls for it.