• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for Feedback on printing equipment

Safetysignguy

We are a safety company that sells about $150K per year in safety signs. Most of the signs are for outdoor use, many are reflective and we have most of the signs laminated for longevity.

We would like to start manufacturing the signs in house to improve the turnaround and further grow our business and we are currently considering 3 printer models. I would like to know if anyone has experience with any or all of these models. I'm looking for information on maintenance costs, ease of use with both printer and the rip, print quality on vinyl and tag stock, and any other feedback that you can provide. We will be buying a printer, cutter, laminator and a few other odds and ends.

We are looking at the following printers.

Mimaki - CJV30-130
Roland - VS-420 (used)
HP Designjet - L26500

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2B

with you focusing on signs, flat surface, why not get a flat bed?

also the Mimaki and Roland you have listed are print/cut, if you are getting a stand alone plotter why the print/cut function

we have been happy with our VS -640, they do all we ask of them.

Terremoto

Usually signs like you describe are screen printed. If they're not screen printed then cut vinyl (premium cast) would be a better choice than trying to digitally print them. They'll last longer and the colours wont fade as fast as they will if you do them on a wide format digital printer.

One other thing - if many of them are on reflective vinyl the results from a digital printer could be a bit iffy.

Dan

Safetysignguy

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Many of the signs we sell are either many colours or process colour and therefore need to be digitally printed. We also plan to cut and apply vinyl for many.

Does anyone have any feedback on the ease of use on either the rip or the printer? I'm hearing that the Mimaki is not as user friendly. The HP rep is boasting about the rip, but I'd like some feedback from actual users.

Hicalibersigns

We have the HP Designjet L25500 and Onyx Postershop 10 rip. We couldn't be more pleased. It is a true workhorse and the quality of the output is outstanding. Maintenance is a breeze...the machine tells you what to do and when to do it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I dunno, but in all my years of signs and also being in the music field..... I've only encountered feedback on musical equipment and never on printers. Sometimes it happens when you don't want it and sometimes when you're trying to get it you just can't get the right angle. However, in printing equipment, I'd imagine if you turn the volume up far enough, tilt it over a little.... it'll start hummin'...............

C

ColoPrinthead

I dunno, but in all my years of signs and also being in the music field..... I've only encountered feedback on musical equipment and never on printers. Sometimes it happens when you don't want it and sometimes when you're trying to get it you just can't get the right angle. However, in printing equipment, I'd imagine if you turn the volume up far enough, tilt it over a little.... it'll start hummin'...............

:Big Laugh :rock-n-roll: