• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking for new plotter

ADM

I am looking to get a new plotter. I have a generic chinese model, but it is letting me down as of late with cutting errors and cuts not matching up on long paths.

I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but want to get away from the cut problems I have had in the past. Please offer your suggestions for a moderately priced cutter. I want a 24" cutter. graphtec? ioline? panther? roland?

Also, where to buy these things to get the best price.

Thanks,

RS

Pro Image

You can't really go wrong with any of these......... I have a Graphtec had it for over 8 years and no problems, Also owned a pnc-950 Roland very old model and never had a hugh problem with it.................SSK has a generic version of the Graphtec that is lower priced you might want to check it out.
www.signsupplystore.com

jayhawksigns

You forgot one of the other favorites, Summa.

I think when it comes to user opinion, majority of the users either say Graphtec or Summa. Both are great machines and you can't go wrong with either.

ADM

I was just reading about the SSK plotters being private label graphtec. IS this true? Is it worth saving the added $500?

Thansk for the help

Pro Image

The private label plotters are Graphtec, based on their CE series not the FC(the more expensive)The Graphtec I own is a CE1000-60 very very good machine..............

Techman

those cutters are "based" on the graphtec. But, just like buying from sears,,, they are modded so much they are not the same...

They are cheap yes,,

PGSigns

I have one of the cutters from SSK and they are good machines. Mine has cut lots of vinyl and I have been very happy with it. Can't go wrong with the price.
Jimmy

SignSister

Hello,
I have been doing the same research, but really wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Gerber Odyssey or P2C. I'm looking for a 48" but haven't seen any mention of Gerber products.

Thanks for any input,
CB

OldPaint

GERBER is expensive....new or used, propriatary.....and they always have something you NEED TO BUY to make their stuff work.....its good but be prepared to BECOME ONE OF THEIRS!!!!!!
as for the chinese "roland" knockoffs your wastin your money!!!!!!
rolands have been copied by the chinese, but thats it....all the internal parts are not up to std of an old roland PNC-1000. those old PNC rolands, where the top of the line rolands.....even exceeding the new cm-cx-24!!!!
you dont see the differances on the out side you need to open up an old PNC roland and a new CX,CM roland.
all the PNC machines where the same as the new ROLAND PRO 300,400 machines of today.
all turning points in the PNC machines are STEEL ROLLER BEARINGS!!! the cm, cx, and chinese knockoffs are NYLON or some sort of plasticthat will change shape over time.
i hada PNC-1000 for 5-6 years...never a problem, sold it for half what i paid for it. i also have 2 PNC-1100 now and neither one is a problem......if i was to buy new, i would look at the roand PRO machines....or SUMA.
reason being i CUT FROM COREL....and both of these machines have that capability......with out any other PROGRAMS!!!!

hol

I bought the Designtech 60 from SSK and it's a Graphtec plotter with a different name on it. The manual, box, and all the packaging say Graphtec. It works great, I've had it for about 6 months now. No complaints except it comes with software to run out of Corel but not Illustrator.

Jackpine

plotter

I have used a Roland PNC100 for 13 years ....slow but never had a problem. Then I bought a Roland GX24 very good but sold it to buy a Graphtec from SSK. The ce3000-60 mk can contour cut with my Mutoh printer(PtintTech36). And it cuts better than either of the Rolands I had. Smooth, fast and accuracte. Comes with a stand and at a cheaper price than a gx24. SSK has outstanding tech support (toll free) and very good prices.

H

HSG

I had problems with my Roland PNC 960. It would not cut anything over 8 feet with any accuracy and would randomly and without warning carve up vinyl. It didn't happen often, but when it did I wanted to take a sledge hammer to it. I bought an Ioline and have so far been happy with it. I don't recommend it for a mac. I had to buy extra cables, a keyspan adaptor and spend a lot of time setting everything up. I found out after I bought it at a show that Ioline doesn't want to support mac. They have also have no intention of ever adding direct mac support. I did get mine to work with no problems, but it cost me an extra $125 to do it.

k.a.s.

My Graphtec is going on 10 yrs old works perfect. I bought a used vinyl express as a second plotter a while back, the Graphtec is 10x than the cheap one. I don't know about brands that I have not owned but I am sold on Graphtecs.